Question

Honor Student
Tinieblas42
Message 1 of 5 (1,927 Views)

No audio through HDMI

I just bought an HP G60-443CL. It qualified for a free Windows 7 upgrade, so it's now running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I also just bought today an HDMI cable to connect it to my HDTV. The video looks great on the TV, but there's no audio. The audio just plays on my laptop rather than on the TV via HDMI like it should.

In the Device Manager under "Sound, video and game controllers" there are two devices listed: "Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221", and "Intel High Definition Audio HDMI". So apparently it has a driver for HDMI audio and it should work. But when I go to my sound settings, playback options, the only option is "Speakers". There's no HDMI option or anything. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, connecting to different HDMI ports on the TV, but nothing works. I've found other people that have had similar problems, but nothing that has worked for them has worked for me...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Honor Student
davids0865
Message 2 of 5 (1,879 Views)

Re: No audio through HDMI

Hi,

Sorry no solution, I have the same problem with dv9950/vista. Having spent some time trawling the internet and this forum I'm stunned how many people are having the same problem, it just should not be this difficult. On the basis that this is a wide spread issue why no solution from HP?????:smileymad:

Honor Student
Tinieblas42
Message 3 of 5 (1,872 Views)

I finally found a temporary fix by just messing around a little. I installed an old Vista driver for my graphics accelerator. I tried updating everything and I had all of the latest drivers. So I instead decided to go with trying old drivers. My computer yelled at me a lot because I was installing a Vista driver in Windows 7 and because I already had a more recent driver, but it now works. I get audio and video through my HDMI cable. So in my case it seems that Intel is where the problem's from, not necessarily HP, and someone at Intel needs to come up with a better driver that doesn't kill HDMI audio.

Top Student
craigums
Message 4 of 5 (996 Views)

problem is that when you either 1) upgraded to windows 7 or 2) just upgraded some sort of graphics driver your hdmi driver got some generic upgrade.  this worked and it took less than 5 minutes.  

go here:

http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm?iid=dc_iduu

chances are it will detect, among other things, an outdated accelorator graphic card.

run the update for the card (even thought it says it is for video)

reboot and BOOM - it works!  hopefully!

Honor Student
Tinieblas42
Message 5 of 5 (989 Views)

I just tried the Intel fix above. I ran it and this is what it said:

"A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer."

Upgrading my driver through HP or through Windows Update is what kills my audio, so my previous post was wrong, it does appear to be HP's problem... My old Vista driver is working for now, but hopefully HP releases a Windows 7 driver soon that works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation