Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So my Pavilion is about2 years old itself but late June I had to do a full re install of Windows. It has been fine all this time until recently I used a bluetooth dongle and headset for a while to use with skype. The inital set up was a hassle but I was able to eventually and used the headset for voice and my laptop speakers for anything else or vice versa.

The problem arose after I turned the set off, I lost all sound from my speakers. Since I need to remove, reinstall and re pair up the device EVERY SINGLE TIME I have decided to not use it anymore. However now I have sound intermittently if at all.

I have sound on start up then for an hour at most after that but normally 5 minutes later I have no sound. If I have sound to start putting the laptop to sleep and rewaking causes the sound to go. I have NO surfire way of getting sound back, uninstall and reinstalling the sound driver doesn't work, disableing and re-enableing works now and then never 100%

I have updated all the drivers, I have removed what could have been a windows update causeing it but still nothing. I contacted windows about this only to find it is a known issue with no solution. The only option they gave me was to pay 150$ to look into it.  I'm going to assume that refreshing MAY fix it and a total wipe and restart would work but I would rather no take either option, especially when I just did one extreame.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Looked like the heaset took over as default sound. Please try this first to enable Speakers in Playback devices as follows:

1. Right click speaker icon (right hand corner)
2. Select Playback devices
3. Right click Speakers
4. Enable it and set as Default
5. Click Apply/Ok

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Also a solution I tried long ago. When the sound goes it's as if I have no speakers there isn't any bar indication on the volume at all, unlike when you test it with a system sound and there is that green gague.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.