Question

Student
roccopoko
Message 1 of 10 (2,249 Views)

No sound/ loud beep noise HP Pavillion dv6604nr

I have no sound on my computer. I have an HP Pavillion dv6604nr Laptop and i have had nothing but problems since i took it off the shelf, but this time the problem is, no matter what i do, i cant get sound on my computer.

In the toolbar, the little icon of the speaker has a small red "x" next to it and when I hover the mouse cursor over it, it says "no audio output device installed" I went to the Device manager to try to see whats wrong, but the "sound, video and game controllers" tab is missing. Regardless, I downloaded the drivers from several places including HP's customer support and realtek but they failed to install themselves giving me an error message. I even tried the recovery manager and eventually reformatted my HD, but none worked. I even tried "Microsoft Fix It" which also didn't work. Now i get this LOUD beeping sound when microsoft wants me to confirm something.

ALSO i cant install things i used to be able to like itunes. I dont know what it is, its like it doesn't detect any sound driver at all. I dont know if its a virus or not but i really need help. I Scanned my system with MANY anti virus programs like Avast, Trendmicro, Kaspersky, norton ect... but they couldn't find anything

Please any help would be appreciated.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 10 (2,238 Views)

Re: No sound/ loud beep noise HP Pavillion dv6604nr

So sorry you have hardware issue, no software and driver can fix hardware issue.

Since the sound chip is embedded on motherboard board, only low level component repair can fix it.

For sure other solution is changing the motherboard.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Tutor
Newpreach
Message 3 of 10 (2,205 Views)

Please see the other threads going on about this issue. I firmly believe that this is NOT a hardware issue because there are so many folks that have this model of laptop, including me, that are having the same problem...and all of us are having it LATELY. I just posted what I tried in Vista that worked for someone else that is running Windows 7. It did not work for me in Vista though.

VERY frustrating at this point. But, I think that I am going to try to reinstall the OS again and NOT go on the internet for a few days. This started happening to me after the newer version of Flash came out...10.1...and I tried viewing video from Youtube and Netflix.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 4 of 10 (2,194 Views)

@Newpreach,

Maybe I'm wrong, but this statement "the little icon of the speaker has a small red "x" next to it and when I hover the mouse cursor over it, it says "no audio output device installed" I went to the Device manager to try to see whats wrong, but the "sound, video and game controllers" tab is missing." steer to hardware issue.

You may have other issue and not all sound problems are hardware issue likewise software. The statement from posters help me to claim this is hardware issue. Do you have the same situation as OP?

I'm guessing the main problem is overheat that crack solder connection between mobo and Nvidia chip-set or the sound chip itself.

@roccopoko

Please try to do a clean installation of any OS (Vista, Win7, XP, or even UBUNTU) to prove I'm wrong. I would very glad to admit I'm wrong and award you some kudos.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Tutor
Newpreach
Message 5 of 10 (2,187 Views)

Rakhmad,

Yes, I am having the exact same problem.

Part of the reason that I think that this has something to do with the OS and Flash 10.1 is because there are so many of us having this same issue at the same time. Unless these mother boards have an issue at about 3 years old where they all crack the connection, it all seems pretty odd to me. There are 2 other threads that are loaded with folks having this same issue, and all as of late.

I will say that you sound correct in light of the fact that the last 3 days, my problem has gotten worse and is not continual instead of most of the time. I tried a redo of the OS today, and it did nothing. I tried it a week or 2 ago, and at least the sound came back until I tried streaming video off the net.

Also, do you know if a Vista reinstall if pretty clean ? Seems to me that unless you do it from CD's, it happens much too quickly. I don't see how a hard drive can be reformatted in 2 minutes. Maybe a Vista reinstall is sloppy compared to an XP reinstall ?

Honor Student
phaduman
Message 6 of 10 (2,170 Views)

I had given the same series laptop (HP) to my father about 2yrs ago and he has run into the same issue. It IS a HW issue, and well described by the person "urpoodoo" in another thread - thanks buddy, 

We moved from Vista to win7, and it would work intermittently. I am surprised that so many of us have this problem. The best way to confirm is, use a USB based headset/speakerphone and wait for failure there. If no failure there, then there is an issue with the audio chipset/circuitry on the motherboard.

There is some alternate solution available, now that we know is it a H/W issue, most likely on the mother-board.

0. Ask HP to replace MB for free. Seems like a major HW bug. But I doubt that will happen. Hence option 'zero'.

1. replace motherboard yourself. Too expensive or impossible for some. And it will last 2yrs at most with same issue.

2. Bypass the audio circuitry all together. Buy a "USB" headset or "USB' Speakerphone. The USB audio systems have their own audio circuitry and make the system bypass the onboard audio chipsets. This is the only way you have got to get things working flawlessly. If you use the analog headsets (that use the microphone and headset jacks on the laptop), that will NOT solve the problem, as those two jacks use the same motherboard audio circuitry.

My father got a USB headset (logitech) and is happy that the audio has been alright for multiple days. The on-board speaker/microphone are still dead. He is really missing the speakerphone ability though. I might buy him a USB speakerphone. The polycom speakerphone for skype ($100 at Amazon I think) is supposedly way better than any built-in speaker/microphone.

cheers

PN from SJ, CA

Student
ejasper1
Message 7 of 10 (2,162 Views)

This SAME exact problem happened to me. I have no sound, and have been unable to reinstall the driver for sound/audio. I find it hard to beleive all mother boards are cracking near the audio peice. Then again, I am no computer expert.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 8 of 10 (2,142 Views)

@Newpeach

Sound issue is not the same for all models. I found many ppl are joining the thread and claimed they have the same issue even the sound chip is different, or even the models.

For your case, I'm guessing the installation of new OS would heat up some part that coincidentally fix sound problem and fail again after it has been used.

My suggestion for your case is to do a reflow for some components; Nvidia chipset and sound chip area that have solder connection problem.

______

Tutor
Newpreach
Message 9 of 10 (2,085 Views)

Thanks, Rakhmad.

Something is up with a lot of us that have these kinds of laptops. Seems like something is in the water !

Well, along with the sound issues, I am getting blue screens and errors that I have never gotten before. Looks like this laptop is headed to the heap pretty soon.

I ordered an external USB sound adapter. Not sure if it is truly a sound card ... for $ 1.98 off of ebay. I know that when I plug my USB headset in, nothing happens, so I am not expecting much.

Tutor
Newpreach
Message 10 of 10 (2,018 Views)

Just thought I would let you guys know that after weeks of trying just about everything, I broke down and bought a little 2 dollar USB sound adapter off of ebay, and it actually works. It is plug and play, and once the drivers install off of Vista, it creates its own volume slider in the tray at the bottom right. But, the sound quality is VERY bad thru speakers at even medium volume. Soooo, I am going to try and buy one that is about 8 dollars that has a volume control on it and see if that is any better. I think it has a pre-amp.

I would try my USB headphones, but I think they are broken. Someone should try that and see if it helps any.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation