No sound on Compaq Presario 1200 (12XL512) LAPTOP (3442 Views)
Tutor
anthonyking
Message 1 of 12 (3,442 Views)
Accepted Solution

No sound on Compaq Presario 1200 (12XL512) LAPTOP

I recently bought a secondhand Presario 1200(12XL512) laptop,when it arrived it had Windows XP Home installed.After a few checks i realized i had no sound,even though device manager shows everything o.k.

I then installed a genuine XP Pro and updated to SP3,again no sound but showing all drivers o.k.If i wiggle the volume slider i temporarly get sound but once i stop this its gone again.

After searching all over the net,i have found there are others with the exact problem including the volume slider thing.

From what i gather i need a different driver,even though the one i have is showing it is o.k.

I have tried Driver Detective 2009 registered version,and that shows again all drivers upto date but still no sound.

I also live chatted with HP last night,and all they could say was change the laptop back to its original OS which was Windows Millenium.

But i don't have the software for this,and to be honest would'nt want to for obvious reasons.

So does anyone know how to fix this,or know the right driver and where i can get it.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 12 (3,413 Views)

Re: No sound on Compaq Presario 1200 (12XL512) LAPTOP

Hi,

Uninstall Your current audio driver. Download and install this one. Write back about results.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Tutor
anthonyking
Message 3 of 12 (3,394 Views)

Have tried what you have suggested,and will give description of what happened.

Followed your link and found 2 drivers on that page so downloaded both,these were Via Vinyl V  700b and 68mu220b.

When installing Via Vinyl V700b,after short time it said 'Sorry the install wizard can't find supported hardware in your system'.

It then closes the Wizard,so installs nothing and i still have no sound.

When installing the 68MU220b folder,it starts to do the install then a warning comes up in the centre of the screen.

'Via AC97 Audio Chipset is not enabled on this system.Please enable it first in BIOS then run this setup again'.

It does install the AC97 Audio Controller (WDM) Driver,but have still get no sound.

On boot i pressed F10 to enter setup,but the BioS has a very small list for only very basic items.

None of these allow me to view or change a Audio Chipset,so no way of enabling anything.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 4 of 12 (3,416 Views)

Hi,

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Devices Manager -> Controllers Audio, Video and Games (something like that)

Find there Your audio card, click on it with right button of Your mouse and choose properties. Then go to bottom details and paste here device id. This way we will know what it is.

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Tutor
anthonyking
Message 5 of 12 (3,369 Views)

I have used PC Wizard to get the following information,the sound is onboard so not on card.

Motherboard - Compaq 06B8h

Chipset - Via Apollo PLE 133 (VT8601)

Bios - Pheonix Technologies Ltd

Audio Device - VT82C686/A/B ....AC97 Audio Codec

Hope the information helps,but am not hopeful as i have been told today but not sure if true or not,issue inherent to laptop.

A friend who's friend works for a computer repair shop,says this issue is known for my laptop and was almost impossible to resolve.

And if i do manage to get the sound running he'd like to know how it was done,so if anyone solves it has got to be the MAN cOZ IT SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS NEVER BEEN DONE.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 6 of 12 (3,391 Views)

@anthonyking,

Have you look the general XP downgrade guide?, here

Here I copied for you

______

For CQ20 and B1200 models, all XP drivers are available in HP Compaq 2230s support model page Here

_______

any series of CQ20 and B1200 share hardware/drivers as 2230s :smileyhappy:

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Tutor
anthonyking
Message 7 of 12 (3,324 Views)

Just like to say thanks to Daniel & Rakhmad,for there help with this issue.

But have now opted for the easy way out,as was unable to sort out the driver issue.

For all those out there struggling with sound like i was,you can buy a USB sound card and you will instantly have sound.

It is a simple small dongle with Mic & Headphone/Speaker socket,Plug & Play no need for drivers etc.

I paid 3.00 pound for mine(U.K Seller),but the same thing was less than 1.00 pound(that included postage)if bought from China.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 8 of 12 (3,341 Views)

Hi again,

Sorry then i didn't reply fast but I was trying to find solution on Your problem and it took me some time.

You wrote:

"When installing Via Vinyl V700b,after short time it said 'Sorry the install wizard can't find supported hardware in your system'.

It then closes the Wizard,so installs nothing and i still have no sound."

There is solution on this problem. :smileyvery-happy:

Download audio driver again from here. (Click on Download now button)

Instruction how to install it in XP:

1. Right Click on "vinyl_v700b.zip" - Click: EXTRACT ALL

2. Follow the prompts - Click "Next" then "Next" again.

3. Finally you will have a new folder "vinyl_v700b"

4. Open this folder, look for a file called "ISSCRIPT"

5. Double-Click on "ISSCRIPT" to run program. Follow the prompts to install ISSCRIPT on your computer. "Click FINISH"

6. You should now be able to run the SETUP without any errors.

This time it should work for You. If not then uninstall SP3 and return to SP2. Cause it was reported as working on XP with SP2. :smileyhappy:

Hope then this will solve sound issue. 

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 9 of 12 (3,294 Views)

anthonyking wrote:

Just like to say thanks to Daniel & Rakhmad,for there help with this issue.

But have now opted for the easy way out,as was unable to sort out the driver issue.

Above statements was not true.

I proved it by myself, B1200 series is a solid notebook for XP as OS.

Compaq B1200 is a cheap version of HP Business 2230 model

Currently the same motherboard/hardware is offered as entry level of HP Business notebook, HP 540.

You may also use HP540 support page to download the driver.

Learn XP downgrade guide carefully, you'll have a solid XP notebook.

Other download except from HP ftp site is the last resort!

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 10 of 12 (3,286 Views)

Rakhmad don't be so angry. Chill out.

It's not B1200. It's this model here.

This model have Via audio not ADI SoundMax HD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation