No sound through TV when hooked via HDMI (2339 Views)
Top Student
Kayleighicious
Message 1 of 12 (2,339 Views)
Accepted Solution

No sound through TV when hooked via HDMI

I guess the title says it all. When I hook my laptop up via HDMI to my TV, there is no sound coming from the TV, I must listen through the laptop speakers.

My Model # is dv6-2143ca

My operating system is Windows 7 - this was NOT an upgrade from Vista

64 bit operating system

Please help! Thanks in advance!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 12 (2,332 Views)

Re: No sound through TV when hooked via HDMI

Hi,

For HDMI to transfer both sound and video correctly, you need the related HDMI Audio Codec associated with your graphics adapter.  Forinstance if you have an ATI Radeon graphics card you also need the ATI High Definition Audio codec which is usually installed along with your graphics driver.

Try this to see if it helps.  Download the Graphics driver on the link below and save the installer to your Desktop.

Graphics Driver

Next, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, open up Display Adapters, right click on the ATI graphics chip and select Properties.  Click the Driver tab and then select uninstall.  When done, do the same for the for the ATI High Definition Audio Codec found under Sound Video and Game Controllers if there is an entry for it here - if there isn't, just carry on with the next step.

Now return to the Desktop and install the Graphics driver by right clicking on the installer and selecting 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.

When complete, restart the notebook and see if this has helped.  Check in Device Manager that both the ATI Graphics Adapter and the ATI Hi Definition Audio codec have reinstalled successfully and whether you now see the HDMI Audio option under playback devices ( found in Control Panel, Sound ) as shown as the top option on the screenshot below.

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/?action=view&current=7Speakers.png&newest=1

If it shows up correctly, try the HDMI connection and see if it now functions properly.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Kayleighicious
Message 3 of 12 (2,320 Views)

Ok, that didn't work.  And now my display seems to be screwed up, and it says I have no speakers. How do I fix this?

Top Student
Kayleighicious
Message 4 of 12 (2,316 Views)

There is no codec under Sound Video and Game controllers, and I cannot even find my display adapters in device manager.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 5 of 12 (2,306 Views)

Hi,

The easiest way to solve this may be to run Windows System Restore.  If you have Norton Internet Security installed, you will need to disable Nortons Tamper Protection as shown in Step 2, on the link below.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20091112171719EN&ln=en_US

Once you've done this, shut down the PC.  Windows System Restore is usaully best run in Safe Mode.  Tap away at f8 as you start the PC to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.  When this has loaded, from the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and launch System Restore.  Pick a restore point before you installed the graphics driver and then proceed with the restore process.  When complete, Windows will reboot as normal.

When windows has fully loaded could you post back with the device listed under display adapters and which audio devices are listed under Sound Video and Game Controllers.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Kayleighicious
Message 6 of 12 (2,301 Views)

Under Display adapters - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 series

Under Sound - ATI High Definition Audio Device

Thank you for all the help.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 7 of 12 (2,297 Views)

Hi,

From the Start menu, open windows Control Panel and then open Sound.  Do you see the ATI HDMI Output as shown in the image on the link below?

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/?action=view&current=7Speakers.png&newest=1

If it shows up correctly, try the HDMI connection and see if it now functions properly.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Kayleighicious
Message 8 of 12 (2,294 Views)

[ Edited ]

I see exactly what is shown in your picture, but still no sound from the TV when connected via HDMI.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 9 of 12 (2,288 Views)

Hi,

Disconnect the notebook from the PC.  Go back to the Sound window.  Left click the ATI HDMI Output once to highlight it and then right click it and set it as the default device.  Click Apply to make the change, close the window and try the connection again.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Kayleighicious
Message 10 of 12 (2,270 Views)

Thank you very much!!! It worked! :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation