Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a HP G62-457DX notebook, and I noticed that a video from school had no sound tonight.  I look at the bottom left and there's no icon.  How do I get the sound back on and the icon restored, and is there a specific software application that may be off, or need turned on, or reinstalled.

Terresa

HP Recommended

Product name: HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC

Everything seems to be working correctly, but there is no sound. 

HP Recommended

I did everything I was told to do and I still have no sound please help. My laptop is only 7 months old.

HP Recommended

I Have a hp pavillion dv2815nr  and the sound doesnt work on it . after the 20th restart it will work on its on but99 percent of the time it says there is no audio device installed. ive tried install several audio drivers but i think its the wrong. can you help thank you! i have windows 7

HP Recommended

Hello nycsweetheart,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how the sound does not work on your notebook computer, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To return the audio to your notebook, I recommend following this resource on No Sound from Speakers (Windows 😎. This should help with the playback on your system.

In addition, you can also follow @SuperMario1's thread on Troubleshooting Guide: Audio does not Work after a Certain Period of Time. This guide should help with your notebook's audio output in regards to a recent Windows Update.

For more assistance, I will need to know:

1. If you can get sound from a pair of headphones attached to your notebook.
  2. If your computer has completed all of its important Windows Updates.
  3. If you have updated your HP drivers using the HP Support Assistant.
  4. If this is an on-going, or recent issue.  

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, as well as the requested information above. I look forward to your reply!

Regards :smileyhappy:  

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello,

Questions answered below:

For more assistance, I will need to know:

1. If you can get sound from a pair of headphones attached to your notebook. - No sound
    • If your computer has completed all of its important Windows Updates.  All updates complete
  2. If you have updated your HP drivers using the. All drivers updated 
  3. If this is an on-going, or recent issue.  On going issue
HP Recommended

Hello nycsweetheart,

Thank you for providing your information!

Did you get a chance to follow the documents posted above? If so, what were the results?

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

i use a hp w2408h  desk top and i have no sound

HP Recommended

Hello @kishababy,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how you are not able to get sound from your HP monitor, and I would be happy to help you in this matter!

To better assist you, I will need to know:

1. The Product and Model Number of your desktop computer.
  2. The version of Windows you have installed on your computer.
  3. If your computer has completed all of its important Windows Updates.
  4. If you have updated your HP drivers using the HP Support Assistant.
  5. If this is an on-going, or recent issue. 
  6. If changing the cable between your PC and monitor gives you sound. An example of this could be a DVI or HDMI cable.

Please re-post with the necessary information, this way I will be able to research this further for you. I look forward to your reply!

Cheers!

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I also have no sound and to be honest I'm a little pissed off about it. I had perfect sound up until I ran the HP 'Support' assistant and installed the recommended updates including a sound driver. I've had perfect sound since I bought the machine. Today I actually NEED sound to be working... have an important Skype call for a job interview...but have I got sound...NO! Thanks for the 'support'!! That was sarcasm by  the way.

Okay, now I've got my anger out of the way (though if I lose out on this job because of Hewlett Packard's incompetence, that anger will be turned straight back on and coming straight back at you) I will try and act like a civilised person (though I am currently seething) and spply details etc...

The machine is a HP Pavilion 15 Notebook - Model N203TU. It is running Windows 7 Ultimate and was fully patched with Windows Updates. I did them before I let the HP 'support' assistant do its updates. I had restarted the machine 3 times since performing the Windows Updates  and on each occassion the sound was still working - I listened to an album AND watched a movie AND watched a short clip on YouTube.  So I'm 99.9% confident that it WASN'T the Windows Updates that robbed me of my sound (and possibly a chance of a job). Also they didn't include any driver updates, whereas the HP Update did.

I have tried every combination of setting I could find - I am even told that the sound device is working properly. Each time I made a change, I then restarted. If it didn't work - i.e. no sound, then I reset it back to its original setting and then restarted. I then tried changing another setting. I believe I have followed the correct methodology for experimentation and/or diagnostics i.e. one change at a time only. I have done this because I have worked with computers, both hardware and software, for over 30yrs and am prety methodical about such stuff.

So...any suggestions for an angry customer whom can't understand why or how an alleged 'update' (i.e. improvement) has caused me to be so frustrated and annoyed by making my computer completely useless for the purpose for which I needed it today?

I am about to uninstall (via device manager) any sound devices listed (there are 2 at the moment!) one at time (following protocols I outlined above), but if it 'magically' doesn't fix the problem (and I've no real expectation that it will) then what am I to do? How do I uninstall ALL HP updates that were supplied via the HP 'Support' Assistant's update functionality? Unlike Windws Update, these don't seem to be listed anywhere (where I can find them anyway!)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.