Question

Honor Student
laylay93
Message 1 of 6 (228 Views)

No speakers or headphones plugged in problem on HP running on windows 8

I dont know how this problem started but my sound just gave out. I downloaded the software audio driver and it worked briefly. Once my computer automatically updated to windows 8.1 it stopped working again. When I tried the driver again I get an error message saying the hardware detected is not supported by the idt software package. I deleted anything idt and tried again but it still hasnt worked.

Here's what I can tell you: I have a HP Pavillion G6 running on windows 8

The audio says there are no speakers or headphones plugged in

Under the control panel the sound program says 1 - Digital Display Audio AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged in

Device Manager says the device is working properly

The driver version is 8.0.0.8807 and it is up to date

Any ideas on how I can fix this, it is driving me crazy!

Retired
Lil_Lisa27
Message 2 of 6 (200 Views)

Re: No speakers or headphones plugged in problem on HP running on windows 8

Hey laylay93,

Thank you for joining the HP Support Community!

I am sorry to hear that your G6 notebook is not playing any sound. :smileysad: I will do my absolute best to assist you in hopes of getting the sound restored on your notebook.

So that I can assist you in the best way that I can, I do need a bit more information from you.

1. What is the full model number of your G6 notebook? I have included the document Guide to finding your product number.

2. Can you confirm if you are currently running Windows 8, or Windows 8.1. If you need assistance in finding the current version of Windows that you are running, I have included the document Which Windows operating system am I running?.

Looking forward to working with you on this issue!

I worked on behalf of HP
Honor Student
laylay93
Message 3 of 6 (197 Views)

Thank you for your help.

I am running on Windows 8

Product Number is C9G68UA#ABA

Retired
Lil_Lisa27
Message 4 of 6 (190 Views)

Hi laylay93,

Thank you for providing the information. I would like to confirm that you have completed all the steps in the following document No Sound from Speakers (Windows 8).

If the above steps fail to resolve the issue, the next step would be to reinstall the original audio drivers. I have included the document Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8).

Are you able to hear any sound after these troubleshooting steps?

I worked on behalf of HP
Honor Student
laylay93
Message 5 of 6 (176 Views)

Attempting to detect the problem did not bring any solutions.

There is no option for speakers under when I tried changing the audio settings

There is no High Definion Audio Device avaliable for me to enable from the device manager

Also installing/updating the driver while it installed successfully, still didnt work.

The same message appears on the audio icon "No speakers or headphones plugged in"

Retired
Lil_Lisa27
Message 6 of 6 (122 Views)

Hey laylay93,

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing the same issue. :smileysad:

As the above troubleshooting steps have not resolved the issue. The next step would be to do a full system recovery on your notebook. I have included the document Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8). Please make sure that you do back up all important files, documents, and pictures to an external drive so that you do not loose them.

Please let me know the outcome of the system recovery.

Looking forward to your response. :smileyhappy:

I worked on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation