Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well, no worries. 

It's probably just as well not to add variables into the situation.

HDX 18s are notorious for having all sorts of video/audio issues - the NVidia drivers and the chips on this system are particularly nasty.  Don't get me wrong - my own system has given me years of good service and it's still in the office right here next to me.  I'm just aware of it's faults.  Smiling.

See edited note above this one for my latest contribution about switching the sound settings to SPDIF.

Unless the hardware has given way - something has to work eventually.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I had tried playing with those settings in every combination I could do. I went back and messed with them again, but still nothing. Your image wasn't coming through, so here's what mine looked like. I tested both the HDMI and the SPDIF outputs.

spdif.png

HP Recommended

Stumped.

I don't have a TV real close to the old HDX right now - may try to dig one up - curious...

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Try this:

Bring up the "manage audio devices" window from control panel.

While this is up, have it set to speakers as default.

Then switch to projector only mode.

Then, change the sound setting to hdmi as default.

It works sometimes, if that doesn't work, check nvidia's site for driver update (they might have a newer one than hp or microsoft)

HP Recommended

Thank you for offering your input. I tried those steps again since I had seen that mentioned in postings I found while googling for a solution, but no luck.

I had the most recent Nvidia drivers installed (direct from their website) when I first started trying to solve this problem, and it looks like something additional broke in newer versions (with the "not plugged in" problem), but the old version doesn't exactly work either (acknowledges being plugged in but no actual audio).

HP Recommended

I see, maybe it is hdmi audio codec?

See here: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2384

HP Recommended

I am looking at at notes from MaxPower757 URL.  Good reference and worth looking at.

I noted your first post - you said "some time ago this stopped working..." - maybe after an update

Edits   2 Nov 2011

I have been running Win7 32 bit Ultimate on the HDX 18t (to accomodate some old sw).

I will blast the system to 64 bit today and then note the upgrades to the NVidea drivers, etc.

Assuming all goes as planned, perhaps it will help.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Found something... (Not related to installing Win7 - 64bit in previous notes)

From the 'net:

• Check your TV's sound settings - (notes are for a Sony TV, may work for a Philips)
  • While HDMI is connected, a menu setting (on the TV) may offer "Analog, Digital, Automatic"
  • Select "Digital"

Edits:

Found 'net notes on the "Order of Events" by Hikertrash:

Also, if I remember correctly

when I first attached my TV,

I needed to unplug the TV and computer,

attach the HDMI cable, power on the TV,

[then] power on the computer.

Edits  2 Nov 2011 1:15 p.m.

"The IDT driver is version 6.10.6276.0"

It appears you may have a 32bit IDT driver on your system (according to the version number).

I do not know if that is making any difference - you may have been running with this all along. ?

Here's the reference list I used:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/drivers/download/IDT~High~Definition~Audio~CODEC.html

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

So here's what I found out...

The link to the Nvidia site provided by maxpower757 also had a link to this page on it: No HDMI audio when graphics card connected to a Philips HDTV. In case the link stops working at some point, here is what it says:

• Some Philips HDMI displays may have issues with certain older NVIDIA graphics cards which could lead to image corruption when audio over HDMI is enabled. In this case, the NVIDIA driver attempts to identify such displays and defaults to disabling the audio if needed. To re-enable audio (note that this could cause image corruption), go to the NVIDIA Control Panel and select the Change resolution page in the Display Menu. Select your HDMI display in Step 1 and then change the Connector in Step 2 to "HDMI-HDTV (Audio-Enabled)" and select Apply.

But when I went to look for this "Connector" setting, it was nowhere to be found. I upgraded my drivers back to the newer versions, and there it was! When I set it back to Audio-Enabled, it popped up a warning, and after clicking Yes, I was able to open the Playback Devices window and set the HDMI as the default device.

Hooray! It's working again! Here's a screenshot of the setting you'd be looking for (notice the Connector setting in the middle of the window).

Nvidia.png

HP Recommended

Glad you are fixed.

Hopefully your solution can help someone else so thanks for posting it, have a good one.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.