Question
PC to TV HDMI connection - no sound
Replies (18)

Tutor
doodser
Message 11 of 19 (11,212 Views)

Re: PC to TV HDMI connection - no sound

Hi,

I have an Intel GMA driver which handles display (which I looked at but showed nothing for audio), but nothing else that i can see which handles graphics or audio.

Regarding the screenshot, no I have no option for HDMI output on the playback tab.

Regards,

Andrew

Provost
DavidPK
Message 12 of 19 (11,172 Views)

Hi,

This may help.  Download the Chipset driver and Graphics driver on the links below and save the installers to your Desktop.

Chipset

Graphics Installer

Next, in Device Manager, open Display Adapters, right click on the Intel graphics chip and select Properties.  Click the Driver tab and then select uninstall.  When done, go to Sound Video and Game Controllers and do the same for the for the Intel High Definition Audio Codec.

Now return to the Desktop and install the Chipset driver and then the Graphics driver.  When complete, reboot the PC.  Hopefully the HDMI option will now be listed under your Playback options.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
lkn4snow
Message 13 of 19 (10,898 Views)

Hello,

I have what looks to be the same problem.  I use an external display through the HDMI port but sound only comes from my notebook speakers or headphones.  The  ATI HDMI Output device used to be listed in the playback section of the sound settings and worked just fine for a couple weeks (just like you have in your screenshot)...now it's not there and there's no longer sound going through my HDMI.

Somehow this got uninstalled...how do I reinstall this?

I have an HP Pavilion dv6

Thanks for the help,

>>Mark

Honor Student
lkn4snow
Message 14 of 19 (10,881 Views)

I resolved the issue.  The driver was disabled and I was looking in the wrong location for it.  I was looking for it in the Sound devices in the device manager.  But it's actually located in the system devices.  I simply enabled it and it came back and works fine.  There was no need to upate or reinstall any drivers.

>>Mark

Top Student
xfullmetal17
Message 15 of 19 (10,841 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here's how to get your sound to output from your TV:

Right-click on the speaker icon on the taskbar and click "Playback Devices."  You should see one for speakers and one for HDMI output (it'll vary by computer, don't know what it'd be on yours).  Select the HDMI one and hit "Set Default."  You should now have sound coming from your TV (you might have to turn up your system volume a bit).

Just don't forget to switch it back when you're done.

edit: Unless your HDMI is plugged in, you won't see the HDMI device option, even in Device Manager.

Honor Student
mkarpachev
Message 16 of 19 (10,829 Views)

Hi All,

I have the same sound problem with my HP Probook 5320m. Even after I re-installed the chipset and graphics drivers, i could not see any IDT HDMI output sound.

I assume there is something wrong with the sounddriver itself.

Any suggestions to solve that?

Thanks in advance.

Student
hibashi
Message 17 of 19 (10,465 Views)

I have the same problem and I have reseach online and follow all instructions. In case it was working fine and sudently stop working___No Sound on TV.

I never seem this instruction about the Display adapters, so these are mine:

Display Adapter: Mobile Intel(R) 4 series express chipset family

Sound Video and Game Controller: Conexant pebble HD smart audio & Intel(R) HD audio HDMI

PC>G60-535DX

Please help

Student
srini35
Message 18 of 19 (9,261 Views)

I have the lap top Toshiba A505 and I had the sound problem with HDMI. Thanks your last solution was  of great help though that was for HP.

srini35

Student
HelpHP
Message 19 of 19 (8,012 Views)

My Product Number is wa965ua#abc

When I connect my HDMI cable to my tv - it used to transfer sound and now does not.

In the control panel - the HDMI is not an optioin to make as the default sound. As per your upper information I noticed under my display adapter tree - it says AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, however my sound, video and game controller tree says - ATI High Definition Audio Device & IDT High Definition Audio Codec.

Because they dont match - is that why it doesnt work?  How can I fix it?

Thank you for your much helpful information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation