Question

Top Student
JohnOZ
Message 1 of 8 (1,774 Views)

Pavilion Dv6 Fan not increasing speed with high temperature

[ Edited ]

I have a Pavilion Dv6 that is overheating and displays the Fan failure error 90B. 

There is no dust on the inlet, The fan seems working as it runs for a few seconds during the bios boot/test, cold start. I have flashed the BIOS (same version F.13). Strangely after a BIOS reset it has been working, modulating with temperature for a few minutes and suddenly stopped or I should say is running at minimum speed. I can hear or should I say sense it running. The BIOS is set with Fan always on. The core temperatures are easily at 90 oC.

I have just tried again a BIOS reset (CMOS battery, battery and power off ), The same again, Fan speeds up for a second during BIOS boot, then when WIN7 runs as the CPUs temp increased above 65-70 the fan speed increased and seemed modulating for two minutes then reverted back to Off/min speed while the temperature shut-up to +90oC with CPU ~50% usage.

Based on the above I would say that it is a controller failure. What are your suggestions?

Thanks

My Update 3 days later:

When the laptop is totally cold, the fan runs fine, modulating as the CPUs temperatures increase. Once the laptop (motherboard) temperature it high the fan starts to go on/off a few times even with constant CPUs load and high temperatures. Then suddenly it stops and any restart, BIOS reset etc fails to make the fan run. Only a total  cold laptop will make the fan run again. From this I self diagnosed a faulty Moterboard that can't be repaired. (Am I right ??)

I have noticed while testing the laptop that the temperatures are always 10oC apart between each core, see below, with an identical load on each core. Core 1 load limit works as it gets above  >90oC.

The spread of temperatures (Core1 90-95C, Core2 80-90oC, Core3 70-80oC and core4 60-70oC) is constant. ( Is that normal??)

Temp Fan OK 1.jpg

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 8 (1,743 Views)

Re: Pavilion Dv6 Fan not increasing speed with high temperature

Could you please give me the exact model number of your notebook?

You can use the following document if you need assistance in finding it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?tmp_renderType=findModel&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00033108&...

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
JohnOZ
Message 3 of 8 (1,731 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for following up.

Details as follow:

HP Pavilion Dv6 Laptop

Prod ID: QC328PA#ABG

SN :[Personal Information Removed]

Student
Alexbg
Message 4 of 8 (1,497 Views)

Hello 

same situation here same bios version.

How do you fix this?

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 5 of 8 (1,481 Views)

Hello Alexbg,

I understand you are stating that you fan doesn’t seem to run when the computer reaches high temperatures, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.

Can you please provide the full make and model of the computer you have, I you are unsure where to locate that information have a look at this link for help if needed.

Are you also getting the 90B error message?

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Honor Student
FoxPT
Message 6 of 8 (1,367 Views)

Hi!

I'm having the exact same issue as JohnOZ. When the PC needs the fan to increase the speed, it simply shuts down or runs at a very low speed, causing the CPU and Motherboard temperatures to reach over 90ºC, making it impossible to use the PC.

I have the latest BIOS upgrade, no dust nor any signs of it, no damaged parts from falling or similar things. The same failure message is displayed at restart. And the fan only starts running again if I shut down the PC and wait for it to cool down.

I have an HP Pavilion dv-6180sp, with less than 2 years. The heating has always been a problem on this PC but never over 80ºC

Honor Student
Miguel-PT
Message 7 of 8 (896 Views)

Hello.
Finaly after months of online research, I found a bunch of people with the exact same problem as me. I almost lost my hope and was considering to instal a manually controlled fan (with a potentiometer) lol.

I have a dv6-6180ep

product id: QC785EA#AB9

Honor Student
FoxPT
Message 8 of 8 (884 Views)

Meanwhile I managed to solve my issue. Unfortunately, I had replace the fan with a new one. The fan wasn't working properly when it tried to increase speed, and there wasn't anything else I could do besides buying a new one. I hope I have helped you or at least saved you some time :smileytongue:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation