Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

No sound is being played from the notebook - nothing from speakers, headphones, HDMI outlet. The IDT High Definition Audio CODEC is installed and updated, but when I test the audio it says Error - Failed to play test tone. I don't know what is wrong, can someone please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp43501-44000/sp43935.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ) - see Here for a further explanation.

2.  The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 32bit ).

3.  Open windows Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and open Services.  Check that the following services are all showing as Status= Started and Start-up Type= Automatic

Audio Service

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Windows Audio

Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

If you need to make a change to any of the above, just right click the service and select Properties, then in the dropdown box next to 'Start-up type',  select Automatic and click Apply to save the change.  Then click the Start button.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Model # dv6-1128TX
Product # NW971PA#ABG
Windows Vista, 32 Bit

I opened the control panel and all of those services were Started and Automatic, any other tips?

Cheers

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp43501-44000/sp43935.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Problem solved!! Thanks very much for your help 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome, glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

my sounds not working at all i i uninstalled the idt and i tried to install it again and its saying

'the hardware detected is not supported by this idt software package

the install will be aborted'

Please Help

HP Recommended

Hi, my situation is very similar (my laptop is a dv6-6b2bs a) although I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. S

Please can you tell me whether I should I install the same driver?

Many thanks,

Matthew

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a hp Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC (about 5 month old laptop). The sound on my laptop does not work. I have tried many different sources for downloading a new sound program. Youtube, games, and pretty much the all the sounds do not work. Please help as soon as possible.

HP Recommended

Mine Sounds the same as this guys ^ Its pretty annoying so if anyone can help please do it soon, before i have to hurt my computer :manvery-happy:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.