Pavillion DM4 (1050ea) - Internal mic not working (5763 Views)
Honor Student
tjwesto
Message 1 of 13 (5,763 Views)

Pavillion DM4 (1050ea) - Internal mic not working

Hi everybody!

This is my first post on the forum and I'm hoping someone can help me out!

I've got a new Pavillion DM4 but cannot despite spending several hours on this problem get the internal mic to work.

The system is running Windows 7 64 bit and all updates are installed and the IDT driver is also up to date. The mic is being recognised in the sound panel etc. but basically it's just not functioning. I can run an external USB mic OK.

All BIOS and chipset drivers are up to date. The latest version of the audio driver is also installed.

I don't think that I have a hardware fault on this new system, as googling suggests that there are lots of people out there who have experienced internal mic problems with Windows 7 across different laptop manufactures.

If one of you guys has a new DM4 could you check out the internal mic to see if it of works OK?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Grad Student
alt_164
Message 2 of 13 (5,746 Views)

Re: Pavillion DM4 (1050ea) - Internal mic not working

Hi,

I dont have a dm4 but id like to help. Did it ever work before? What program is it not working with? When was the last time it worked ok? Try performing system restore. You can also try this.

Honor Student
tjwesto
Message 3 of 13 (5,731 Views)

Hi

I first noticed it the same day that I received the laptop. It's possible I guess that there is a hardware fault with the mic or connector, but I'm a little sceptical. First noticed with Skype which is correctly configured and then confirmed by not being able to record through the sound recorder.

I've worked through the HP resolving mic problems stuff already but no joy. The internal mic can be selected and shows up with an IDT High Definition Audio driver - which again is the latest.

All a bit of a mystery....

Cheers

Tim

Grad Student
alt_164
Message 4 of 13 (5,690 Views)

If the sound recorder doesnt record anything and you had the issue out of the box, call HP and have your computer serviced. Its a hardware failure. Too bad you'll loose your computer for a week or two. HP 18004746836

Tutor
russt93
Message 5 of 13 (5,526 Views)

Have you taken it back yet? I have a dm4-1050ea too, I've downgraded to XP and the microphone works fine. I'm just about to finish setting up the dual boot with xp and 7 (just need to install all the drivers) I can test the microphone after that if you like? If mine doesn't work then it can't be a hardware fault as it works in XP.

Student
muk216
Message 6 of 13 (5,392 Views)

i'm having the same issue. did u ever manage to resolve this? i just got my dm4 today and it was the first thing i noticed when i tried to use gchat......

Student
StarDustAreUs
Message 7 of 13 (5,200 Views)

I used the "Controls IDT Audio Setting" application in my system tray (hidden icon for me) which allowed me to adjust the volume of my dm4 under Win7 (set to max) which then solved my Skype audio problem.

Student
jackiyen
Message 8 of 13 (4,999 Views)

My internal mic is not  working as well. Am using Windows 7. Was there ever a resolution from the folks who reported the original problem.

Honor Student
blackmilk
Message 9 of 13 (4,985 Views)

I had the same problem with my HP Dv7 fresh out the box when I tried to use Skype and Gtalk Phone. I found that the lap top doesn't have the proper setting configured with outside apps like Skype so you have to set them yourself.

For Skype:

Cick "call"

Scroll to "audio settings"

And on the mic section select the "Intergrated Microphone"

You should then from there be able to test it and see the green bar move as you talk and make sounds. Hope that fixed your prob.

Student
Rex_Chemist
Message 10 of 13 (4,307 Views)

I intentionally disabled the internal mic to minimize feedback while I was working but cannot now restore its function.  The IDT HD Sound control panel shows the internal mic as disabled with the two radio buttons non-responsive.  Help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation