Probook 4720s internal speaker not working (headphones do) (11308 Views)
Honor Student
HenSpa
Message 1 of 19 (11,308 Views)

Probook 4720s internal speaker not working (headphones do)

Hi.

I have a problem where the internal speakers on the laptop just wont work, but I get sound from headphones when they are plugged in.

* The computer is less than a month old and has not been used very much.

* I think I heard sound when I installed everything for the first time.

* I'm using Windows 7. I've tried Ubuntu 10.10 and the sound from headphones worked there, but not from speakers.

* Nothing is muted.

* Every volume is at max.

* Headphones are not plugged in.

* Latest bios is installed.

* Latest sound driver is installed (I've tried all available drivers from HP and windows standard drivers, none work).

* No indication of error anywhere. The computer seems to do everything it's supposed to do, except no sound comes from the internal speakers.

* I've reset Windows with system restore, but it did not change anything.

* One theory I had was that the laptop was stuck in "headphone mode" due to a stuck or broken switch in the headphone jack. However, if I open IDT HD sound program, there is a picture of the headphone jack, and if I plug in headphones, the picture is enlarged, and if I unplug headphones, the picture is decreased. Therefore, it does seems like the software registers when the headphone is plugged in and when it's not.

Possible fault(?):

* Software error somewhere, either the driver or Windows 7.

* Broken cable between to speakers somewhere?

* Broken soundcard? (headphones work).

Is there something else I could try? (I guess I could reinstall the whole computer, but rather don't do that unless absolutely necessary, as the problem might just arise again).

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 19 (11,302 Views)

Re: Probook 4720s internal speaker not working (headphones do)

[ Edited ]

In Control Panel -->Sound

The following image is what it should look like. The text is in partially in Dutch, but it is close to what you should see, replete with the green checkmark which indicates the selected output device. I just tested mine. Even with the headset plugged in and working the Sound display looked exactly like the image that I posted here. You can right click inside the sound box and select show disabled devices and show disconnected devices. That may help you troubleshoot this issue.

sound1.JPG

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
HenSpa
Message 3 of 19 (11,264 Views)

For me it looks like the image below. (Högtalare=speakers, hörlurar=headphones). There is no disabled or disconnected devices available, except the one in the image.

4720ssound.png

Regards,

Henrik

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 19 (11,246 Views)

Hi,

Well. click on the speaker icon.

The Konfiguera button should no longer be grayed out as long as the speakers are internally connected to the motherboard. Click on it and test the speaker in stereo mode

regards,

erico.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Student
LS-Probook6550b
Message 5 of 19 (10,917 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with the sound. And I've tried all what is said here, but no result...

Can you help me?

HP Probook 6550b

Windows 7 Proffesional

IDT Audio

Student
Sikandar1991
Message 6 of 19 (10,779 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

HP Probook 6550B,
Windows 7 Professional, 64 bits
IDT Audio, newest driver

I am also having the same difficulties with the sound. There is nothing broken internally. I can conclude this since, when I delete my driver, and restart the computer. Windows installs a general driver to play the sound. The sound works perfectly fine then, at least from the speakers. Downside is that not all my buttons to control audio from my keyboard work. Also, my  jacket for the earphones do not work without the IDT audio driver. And when I install the the driver, my earphones do work as well as all the buttons on my keyboard, But then the speaker do not work (you see the bars move etc, just no sound.) I have tried virtually everything. I even reinstalled my whole laptop, but this didn't help anything. I am currently in Singapore and I am thinking of going to an HP shop here. (Originally from the Netherlands, but now in Singapore for school program). My warranty is still valid till end of this year.

Any suggestions? Please email me at {Personal Information Removed}, I am not an often visitor of forums. 

Student
hk1970
Message 7 of 19 (10,698 Views)

Pls right  click on the SPK icon ,then  click on the volume control option tick mark on Speaker / HP in sound devices. Apply & ok. this will solve ur Issues 

Tutor
cptncrnch
Message 8 of 19 (10,642 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a Pavilion dm4-1162us laptop and I just had similar audio issues start today.

I had headphones plugged in to play a game and when I was finished, I unplugged my headphones, and suddenly no sound was coming out of the laptop's speakers. The sound works when I plug the headphones in again.

I have checked all of the audio settings and made sure the speakers are set as default and enabled. I made sure that disabled devices are visible. All sound tests have failed. I have rolled back the drivers to version 6.10.6300.0 and also I have tried reinstalling the latest version 6.10.6324.0 yet it still doesn't work.

I noticed throughout the ordeal, the IDT control panel looked like it detected the headphone jack as active even though nothing was plugged in.

idt-jack-detected.png

Is there a way to reset this detected state? If anything else, how can I just use the Windows audio drivers? Do I need to remove the driver files in the swsetup folder?

Provost
erico
Message 9 of 19 (10,634 Views)

Try uninstalling the sound device from the control panel and the drivers. Restart your notebook and Windows should find the device and reinstall the driver.

Best regards,
erico

Tutor
cptncrnch
Message 10 of 19 (10,631 Views)

I've reinstalled the drivers and it did not resolve the problem. The headphone jack still appears to be detected.  I found a temporary workaround online and posted about it here. It pretty much routes the internal mic device to output sound through the "headphone" device which somehow ends up playing sound through the speakers.

I still would like to know how to reset the IDT jack detection.

This Vista forum post had an identical problem and they shipped the laptop for repair. OP allegedly reimaged his laptop to factory settings and the sound still did not work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation