Recording sound from computer (Compaq Presario CQ50-140US Notebook PC - Vista SP1) (7260 Views)
Honor Student
A_Hylian_Human
Message 1 of 8 (7,260 Views)

Recording sound from computer (Compaq Presario CQ50-140US Notebook PC - Vista SP1)

I was wondering if there was a driver or something that would be able to record sound from my computer, or if it's a hardware limitation.

Model: Compaq Presario CQ50-140US Notebook PC

Operating Sytem: Microsoft Vista Service Pack 1

Hardware Changes: None

Top Student
al_taylor
Message 2 of 8 (7,209 Views)

Re: Recording sound from computer (Compaq Presario CQ50-140US Notebook PC - Vista SP1)

I'm a little late responding to this, so perhaps you've solved it already.

But in case you still need help ... I have a "downgraded" laptop running Windows XP SP3 and also was not able to record sounds played by the computer.  I solved the difficulty by using a program called "Freecorder", which is a browser-based program that somehow manages to record sounds generated by your computer.

Look at it here: http://applian.com/freecorder3/download.php

It shows up in IE-7 as a "Toolbar" that can be made to appear fairly small.  In the "Settings" area, I have checked "Record from Freecorder Audio Driver" and it has worked great.

Honor Student
A_Hylian_Human
Message 3 of 8 (7,195 Views)

Re: Recording sound from computer (Compaq Presario CQ50-140US Notebook PC - Vista SP1)

What settings? In the toolbar settings or IE7's settings?
Top Student
al_taylor
Message 4 of 8 (7,187 Views)

>>What settings? In the toolbar settings or IE7's settings?<<

It's in the "Freecorder" toolbar (mine shows near the top of IE) and is an icon located there for Freecorder's "Settings".  On my installation, it's the second icon from the right end of the toolbar and is located between the "bell" ("Record and Auto-Tag MP3's ...") and the right-facing 'arrow (the "Play" icon). The "Settings icon" looks like two opposite-facing maracas.

Click this Settings icon and a window will pop up.  In its upper-left corner you'll see three places that allow you to place/click a "check mark".  I've put a check in the top line which says "Record From Freecorder Audio Driver", and it has worked well for me.  (Note that in this "Settings window" you can also set the "Recording Destination", the "Output Format", and time at which you want the program to "Prompt for a filename".)

What I do is: 1) click the red "Record" icon in Freecorder's toolbar, 2) start playing the music source so I can hear it out of the speakers, and 3) when it's done playing, save the file.

Hope this helps a little more.

Honor Student
A_Hylian_Human
Message 5 of 8 (7,161 Views)

Eh actually, I was hoping to be able to stream sound from one program (such as Windows Media Player) to another (such as TeamSpeak or Skype). I've tried this one program called VAC, but the full version is $30 and the trial version puts an annoying "Trial" sound every five seconds.

Does anyone know of a (free) solution to this problem. :smileysad:

Honor Student
Nikoner
Message 6 of 8 (5,155 Views)

I use the software MP3 Recorder Studio to record sound from computeras well as with microphone. It produces good sound quality, has many useful features like silence detection, ability to split files, to set bitrate, mode and other options, convert copy-protected music.

Honor Student
anthoy2011
Message 7 of 8 (2,956 Views)

i guess it has nothing to do with your computer, perhaps you need some kind of program. It will assist you record sound from computer. Try out this streaming music recorder, which offers tricks for recording streaming music, edit and burn music to Cds etc. Hope it's the right one for you.

Student
Dudley0
Message 8 of 8 (2,818 Views)

Hi, if it's a hardware limitation, you may need to transfer to use other programs to record sound from PC. There are audio programs that can be used to record from sound card output. You could also try to use Windows sound recorder and set it well to record from speakers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation