Re: STacSV64.exe IDT PC Audio using 50% of cpu (4479 Views)
Honor Student
kgroelofs
Message 101 of 149 (4,479 Views)

Re: STacSV64.exe IDT PC Audio using 50% of cpu

[ Edited ]
Hi everyone,
I just got my new Hdx 16 1200 p8700 4gigs.  It had windows vista 64.  I upgraded to Windows 7 x64 RC 7100.  Pandora and Itunes worked great.  I used it for 3 days with multiple shut downs (prbly 6).  Then I heard stuttering and my compy about froze. I opened up the Task Manager, and found stacsv64 consuming 50% of my CPU and 500mb of RAM.  Additionally, there was similar consumption of resources by AudioDG.exe.  I ended the Stacsv64.exe using the services menu from control panel, and told it not to start up again.  Rebooted, and AudioDG still is consuming 50% CPU and .5gb of ram.  Looked around for a fix, and went into control panel-> sound-> properties->enhancements, and turned off post sound card processing of my sound.  That solved the memory and CPU consumption issue.  Now, pandora is able to play through Mozilla 3.5, but Itunes is unable to play.  I can click play, and the pause button becomes selectable, however no sound issues from the speakers, and the audio track scroll button/selector does not advance through the track.  Any ideas?
Message Edited by kgroelofs on 07-29-2009 10:18 PM
Well Hello Again everyone. 
I did the following:

"Here is the link to the current driver:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-69039-1&cc=ca&lc=en&...

This will update the "IDT High-Definition Audio CODEC Driver" to version:   6.10.6140.0"

After seeming like the system had crashed for 3 minutes, it finally asked for a restart.  I complied.  My mute button is now responsive again on the quickstart buttons (changes from white to oj and back again in sync with acutal muting ability).  Additionally, Itunes now works.  It works with both external speakers (plugged in to either jack) or to with the native hdx laptop speakers.

HP, Please tell us that you care about these things, that you were somehow aware that this was ever a problem, and that it is now fixed in part due to some actions that you took.
Message Edited by kgroelofs on 07-29-2009 10:39 PM
Top Student
wolfprince
Message 102 of 149 (4,368 Views)

My 50% useage seems to have gone since I upgraded driver to version 6209 from windows update a few weeks back---but there are some audio problems--like sometimes computer opens with sound not running and needs to be rebooted--also sometimes when swapping from headset to normal the sound disappears and I have to reopen the window again---not totally fixed yet but better---not the sort of thing that a new computer should be doing however --cheers

Intern
mistertee
Message 103 of 149 (4,327 Views)

Outside of disabling the "Audio Service" process (and thereby sacrificing all but the most basic audio functionality), none of solutions offered in this thread will permanently "fix" the problem. Depending upon the model or series of one's HP notebook, certain IDT drivers seem to work better than others however the CPU problem will eventually return, at least on an occasional basis. Considering that we have reached the 11th or 12th page of this topic (not to mention many similar postings on other web boards), it's impossible to understand why HP hasn't resolved the issue. Although my DV7-1260us is marketed as an "entertainment" notebook, I'm certainly NOT entertained by the fact that I must check my CPU each and every time I boot. Aaaarrrgggg!!!! :smileymad:
Honor Student
Falael
Message 104 of 149 (4,288 Views)

I have experienced this issue today with my HP Pavilion dv5-1123ef on Windows 7 32b, and managed to solve it (with difficulty) by installing SP43288, "hidden" in HP ftp server.

If you cannot solve this problem, I recommend to uninstall IDT driver & reboot : Windows Update will automatically install a generic driver. But it's just a workaround.

Also, I've met the same problem than Wolfprince : sometimes, when I unplug my headsets, no more sound from the speakers. Hence I had to fiddle the settings. 

Those drivers are really shoddy, and it's a shame that HP don't react seriously on this important matter...

Intern
mistertee
Message 105 of 149 (4,289 Views)

Thanks for passing that along Falael. There are several drivers mentioned throughout this thread that will "tame" but not necessarily resolve the problem. Matching any given HP notebook (or notebook series) with the most compatible driver tends to be a trial and error process. Just be aware that although the issue might seem to be resolved, it can reappear when you least expect it. I've tried various IDT HD drivers that have run perfectly 60+ boot cycles but sure enough, eventually the problem will return. Even though it's not as "chronic" when using a better driver, it's still a good idea to check CPU after bootup. 
Honor Student
dakotanut
Message 106 of 149 (4,125 Views)

I've got the same problem as all of yall. I have a dv7-1245dx. I tried some of the things mentioned here. I'm gonna see if they work. If not I'm gonna contact HP support. I know them pretty good now. From what I've read, there is no repair for this problem? No drivers or anything? Other than the bypasses yall mentioned?
Honor Student
Falael
Message 107 of 149 (4,161 Views)

Welcome to our little club, whis is growing better every day seemingly!

Basically, you've got to uninstall your IDT driver and test a new one listed in this thread.

Be aware that installing the newest driver will not necessarily troubleshoot this issue : You may have to set up an older one.

My problem was solved using version 1.0.6159.0, but Mistertee outlined that it may differ in regard of each HP model, and the bug may reappear when you're not expecting it!

For my part so far so good. Now I take a glance at the system gadget at each boot up, to check if there's something fishy with Proc activity.

Concerning HP support, you can try to contact them but I feel they don't give a **bleep**...

Good luck!

Top Student
Etdashou
Message 108 of 149 (3,819 Views)

If this can help someone.

I have a HP DSX 16 and my CPU was at 100% all the time. I was doing all of the Windows Update one after the other. When I did the windows update on the Audio drivers IDT, this is when the problem started.

Search google and read this topic. 

I downloaded  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-69039-1&cc=ca&lc=en&... drivers and everything is ok now, but I haven't tested a lot. But I did do about 5 or 6 reboot successfully.

To install drivers, I did not uninstall anything before. I simply double click on the exe file.

Thank you Windows update to provide us a nice driver.

Thank you HP to write in this forum and help us. 

Honor Student
Tronmech
Message 109 of 149 (3,237 Views)

Well, here I am, joining the HP audio steals all 50% of CPU...

Well, in my case, the latest Windows Update driver did you all one better -- it took over BOTH cores of myCore 2 Duo P7450. 94% CPU utilization. Thanks to this thread, I rolled back to 6.10.6047.5, which came with the system. I don't get the CPU problem any more, but the light above the keyboard seems to think that I'm muted all the time, even when I'm not... The only other things installed on this system other than Vista x64 are Firefox and the HP printer drivers. Just got it this afternoon and spent the time downloading updates from Windows Update.... Wish I hadn't decided to update the system drivers as well as downloading all 37 OS updates...

Intern
mistertee
Message 110 of 149 (3,195 Views)

Tronmech wrote: I don't get the CPU problem any more, but the light above the keyboard seems to think that I'm muted all the time, even when I'm not...

Manually reinstalling the driver followed by a reboot should resolve the "mute" problem for you.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp40501-41000/sp40662.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation