Solved: No sound over HDMI - HP Pavilion dv3510nr Entertainment Notebook PC (3085 Views)
Honor Student
mainlyQ
Message 1 of 1 (3,085 Views)

Solved: No sound over HDMI - HP Pavilion dv3510nr Entertainment Notebook PC

I bought an HP Pavilion dv3510nr in April 2009 (4G Ram, Vista Home Premium 64Bit).  As I did not have access to any HDMI devices I didn’t have the opportunity to use the HDMI output. Recently I obtained an HDMI TV and when I connected the dv3510nr the video worked fine, but there was no sound. Set the default playback device to Digital Output Device (S/PDIF/HDMI); this made no difference. Over many days I tried various suggestions regarding possible solutions, all without success.

Shortly after buying the laptop, I visited NVIDIA’s web sit and updated the original video drivers to the latest version (version 186.03). According to the NVIDIA, the 186.X drivers offer a very significant performance increase for many applications, and also include PhysX system software for hardware acceleration.

Checked HP’s support page for my model here, and found that the latest drivers provided by HP were version 7.15.11.7903, (Called NVIDIA NB9M-GS Graphics Drivers).

Decided to replace my current drivers with these older ones. This was harder than I expected. Downloading and running the exe file (sp41695.exe) did not replace the existing 186.03 drivers. Using the control panel to uninstall both the drivers and the PhysX software seemed to work, but on rebooting, the drivers were automatically re-installed. I also used Device Manager to uninstall them. Eventually I succeeded and again tried to install the older drivers provided by HP; this time I received an error message saying that I was “Trying to use a 32-bit uninstaller on a 64-bit system”. The program sp41695.exe initially creates a folder C:\SWSetup\SP41695 that contains several files including a setup.exe file and two other folders: WinVista32 and WinVista64. Each of these also contains setup.exe files. I ran the setup.exe file in the WinVista64 folder. This successfully installed both the video and sound drivers for my graphics card. HDMI sound has worked fine since then. Needless to say, from now on I will only install drivers etc. from HP website!

Hope this saves someone else some time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation