Question

Student
Thunderclaw83
Message 1 of 3 (1,633 Views)

Sound Card--HP Pavilion dv6

Hello, I've recently been redesigning my room and I decided to get a surround sound for gaming purposes.

I was reading reviews and some say the:

Logitech X-540 speakers (http://www.geek.com/articles/xyzcomputing/logitech-x-540-speakers-2006127/)

are not compatible with laptops whereas other say they are. Other reviews also say that the matrix function solves most of this, but I was wondering if I would be able to get the full 5.1 surround sound with this laptop. Regarding the sound card, that is the one thing I am most unsure about. Would it suffice? The sound card is the default from the HP online store.

Also, if my sound card does not suffice, is there a way I /could/ get it to work? If possible, please link me to a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Honor Student
rootsmusic
Message 2 of 3 (1,203 Views)

Re: Sound Card--HP Pavilion dv6

I can't help but did you find a solution?

Honor Student
Tom_Orlando
Message 3 of 3 (711 Views)

Re: Sound Card--HP Pavilion dv6

I believe the only way to get Dolby Surround Sound out of the DV6 is via the HDMI port.  The DV6 does not have surround sound connections otherwise.  You would need a Surround Sound Receiver that has HDMI inputs. 

Now I have the DV6 and a Sony Surround Receiver with HDMI inputs, but I cannot see any surround sound settings in my DV6  while the HDMI is active.  The HDMI sound properties only show 2 stereo channels enabled while the HDMI is active (it will be all grayed out when HDMI is not connected).  I came to the support site looking for answers to this problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation