Sound Issue Probook 4530s: Partial Solution, Need The Rest (21187 Views)
Top Student
HPLapTopDance
Message 1 of 33 (21,187 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sound Issue Probook 4530s: Partial Solution, Need The Rest

[ Edited ]

Hi all :smileyhappy:

Just took delivery of a Probook 4530s around 5 days ago and it's quite the looker and performer. Love everything about it, but the display quality could have better luminence and contrast ratio. My only gripe, really.

But thats not what this is all about! Here is the deal:

Upon unpacking the notebook for the very first time and doing intial set up, before it even booted into Windows for the very first time, it had a fairly bad audio / video glitch. A "hiccup" would be an understatement. More like a cough, sometimes a hacking one. A well audible "buzz" and accompanying video stutter if watching video, and simply an audible buzz if listening to music. This would seem to happen randomly and at various intervals. But it would happen in under a minute when listening to or viewing media, and continue throughout.

I found a  thread here where a guy had the same problem for a different model, others chimed in, solutions banttered about and finally it came to this and it works:

Disable the wireless device.

At first i tried to just disconnect it from the Local Area Connection, but no go. Disable the entire device and the problem goes away. Tested it time and time again. When i have the internet connected it messes up within 20 seconds. But disconnect / disable the wireless card and watch an entire movie without a hitch and well, problem found. And i hope this thread will help others find a partial solution, too.

But as said, it's only a partial solution. The internet has video streaming, music streaming, movies, TV, games, all those audio / video goodies i enjoy! But I can't enjoy them if connected to the internet because the computer coughs, and if not connected the computer doesn't cough....but i am not connected! Ugh!

So I wonder what is my next move? What are some compatible drivers / updated drivers for my card that may solve the total problem, and won't mess up my computer? I think maybe something different for the audio and wireless? But which ones? Oh sure, Windows say they are the "latest drivers," but who cares what Windows says?  I would like to take care of this all in one shot if possible without too much guessing and trial and error. Right now I have:

Atheros AR9285 802.11 b/g/n wireless adaptor

and

Atheros AR3011 Bluetooth 3.0 +  HS Adaptor

and

High Definition Audio

I don't know the exact drivers as i am away from the laptop atm.  But i figure they can be changed or uninstalled / reinstalled. I just want to do it w/o issue. And I firgure the BT might be important, as the BT doesn't work without the wireless card activated. So i mentioned it. Which is another cause for concern. Having to disable the device (wireless) to watch video or listen to music means no internet OR bluetooth, apparently.

I am halfway home, guys. HELP! :smileytongue:

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 33 (21,172 Views)

Re: Sound Issue Probook 4530s: Partial Solution, Need The Rest

[ Edited ]
Top Student
HPLapTopDance
Message 3 of 33 (21,155 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you much, Paul. Problem solved. 

I followed your links and first installed the chipset. Problem persisted. Installed audio driver. Problem persisted. Installed the WLAN driver. Problem SOLVED!

After the uninstall of the old and reinstall with the latest WLAN driver you linked, nothing but clean, clear audio with no hiccups, coughs, video stutter, or otherwise. Perfect.

Thanks once more, and hope this thread may help others in resolving an issue or two :smileyhappy:

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 33 (21,140 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're very welcome.

That is great news!

Happy to learn you got your brand new notebook working as you would expect it to.

Enjoy!

Paul

Honor Student
ashtaylor001
Message 5 of 33 (20,966 Views)

Hi there-  I have the same issue -and followed the advice above installing all of the updated drivers, but still I get that audio glitch about every 10 seconds when watching a video..

Only had the probook 4530s for two weeks - and this is quite frustrating...

Appreciate any other advice?

Honor Student
ashtaylor001
Message 6 of 33 (20,961 Views)

Further to that - disabling the wireless / bluetooth and network adapter does not stop the glitch from happening...

Top Student
Huruntz
Message 7 of 33 (20,716 Views)

Hi

To my mind you need to disable hp power assistant service in system configuration (msconfig)

Top Student
mako
Message 8 of 33 (20,549 Views)

Thanks for the pointer Huruntz, simply killing the power assistant tray application fixed my 4530s (HPPA_Main.exe). This has been driving me mad for ages!

Top Student
Sujay1234
Message 9 of 33 (20,457 Views)

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for this update. I replaced my new probook4530s due to audio stutter and new one arrived and guess what??? SAME PROBLEM... Its really frustrating. Contacted HP technical assistance, same standard procedure, update drivers and BIOS. They suggested me to replace this unit too. Did lot of research and I was surprised that many people are having this problem.

Did lot of trial and error methods. What worked for me is in same line with what you posted here. I used "DPC Latency Checker" to check where the exact problem is. So Latest Power Assistance  driver is the problem.

I uninstalled latest version (you have to do it manually from control panel) and installed earlier version. Use this version (2.0.5.1)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Restarted my lappy and its working fine now. :smileyhappy: HP technical people have not done their research on this issue and everytime they quote it as a "Hardware Issue". Its SHAME that users have to figure it out by themselves.  This will be my first and last HP laptop as i am not at all satisfied with the resolution they have provided. FInally my lappy is working fine but it took me almost a month to get here. :smileysad:

Hope this will help other people who is having this problem

Thanks,

Sujay

Honor Student
YaBoyJon
Message 10 of 33 (20,396 Views)

Wow, unstalling the latets Power Assistand and installing the previous one did the trick for me. That stuttering audio bug was really annoying me. I was so disappointed after restoring it and install all my stuff againa and the same problem showed up. I was about to call HP. Now I dont, Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation