Question

Top Student
Reddiance
Message 1 of 7 (1,806 Views)

Sound Stopped Working

All of a sudden the sound stopped working. When I try to install the Conexant High Def SmartAuto 221  driver, I get the error message: Driver installation failed: Could not find MEDIA device for this driver.

I have a 14" Laptop model dv2500, Vista Home Premium. I've also noticed that the button on the laptop that controls the mute/unmute does not work anymore. I then disabled this button in the BIOS. I've also installed Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver and then tried to install the Conexant driver, but still get this error message.

In the device manager I do not see any yellow exclamation marks or something turned off or flagged as not working.

I've sent an email to HP support, but there's no reply back. I'm VERY disappointed at HP's support. This laptop is only 1 1/2 yrs old.

Is it possible this is a hardware failure? What else can I do, besides re-formatting this thing?

Student
kdslocum
Message 2 of 7 (1,780 Views)

Re: Sound Stopped Working

Sounds (sorry) similar to my issue.  It was working now I have no window sounds.  If I put a CD in it plays no problem and MSN Messanger sound works, but nothing else.  Web site videos run, but no sound at all.  Have tried the 'vista' fix and didn't help.  So if you find out anything please post.

Sorry I wasn't ANY help at all

Student
happygupt
Message 3 of 7 (1,768 Views)

All of a sudden the sound stopped working. When I try to install the Conexant High Def SmartAuto 221  driver, I get the error message: Driver installation failed: Could not find MEDIA device for this driver.

I have a 14" Laptop model dv2500, Vista Home Premium. I've also noticed that the button on the laptop that controls the mute/unmute does not work anymore. I then disabled this button in the BIOS. I've also installed Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver and then tried to install the Conexant driver, but still get this error message.

Honor Student
rickyfrenz
Message 4 of 7 (1,747 Views)

I think this is the company trick and the trick of Microsoft, when you install updates some glitch comes up and audio and CD rom is not working properly, i would suggest you should contact HP Support by ringing them and ask them to remote support

Honor Student
IndianRiverMan
Message 5 of 7 (1,376 Views)

Did ya get it working?  If so what did the trick?  I have tried http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-59558-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&... without luck sadly.  Frankly HP is really bad on info for correction and next purchase will reflect a change in brand for me...

Honor Student
IndianRiverMan
Message 6 of 7 (1,375 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have tried http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-59558-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&... without luck sadly.  Frankly HP is really bad on info for correction and next purchase will reflect a change in brand for me...

So many hours wasted dealing with what should have been an easy resolution to a common problem...am looking at over 400 views to this particular issue sadly...

Teacher
MicGoogle
Message 7 of 7 (1,352 Views)

Hello all!

First make sure you've downloaded the appropriate driver for your system, for the 32 bit and 64 bit there are 2 different drivers..

Second stop installing tons of garbage, uninstall what you've installed and after rebooting and it shows you've no sound, go to Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Action tab up top -> Scan for hardware changes

It will try to install default HP Driver for your audio, see if it has fixed the issue. If it hasn't first make sure you have some sort of audio driver then try the following:

- First, shutdown the computer
- Next, you have to cut off the power completely by disconnecting the A/C cord
- Pull the battery out from the laptop  – Wait for 1-2 minutes, and plug the battery back in and reconnect the A/C
- Boot up the computer and watch the result.

If audio is working and your keyboard controls still don't work in regards to the increasing/decreasing volume controls, you can try to fix it by doing this:

Go to http://matt.malensek.net/software/ and download the software 3RVX. It is a alternative to volume control and works by using the windows volume control but allowing you to regulate it using the up/down volume features, and it has a nifty visual display like that of the mac..

If it still don't work try this:

If you've disabled some start-ups that could be the problem..some start-up items in msconfig are necessary for the volume up/down keys to work..Hit start then run then type in msconfig

In start-up there are a few hp programs-HP desktop- FastUserSwtch-hpsysdrv- etc etc- 

The above sentence i copied from a online link, however you would try to reenable any disabled hp programs like hp quick launch. If all fails try reset to original factory settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation