Question

Honor Student
jbmcpacisa
Message 1 of 10 (11,875 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sound doesn't work on my relatively new HP ENVY dv7

Within the last couple of weeks, the sound quit working on my laptop.  Since purchasing, I have been able to mute the sound and turn it back on with no trouble, but now when I unmute the sound, nothing happens.  The sound icon and the Volume Mixer all show that the sound is working and is set at the highest volume, but nothing comes out.  Given that this laptop has beatsaudio, it's frustrating.

Honor Student
jbmcpacisa
Message 2 of 10 (11,870 Views)

Re: Sound doesn't work on my relatively new HP ENVY dv7

Additional information - I think it has something to do with my secondary monitor is plugged in with an HDMI cable, which happened a couple of weeks ago.  When I unplugged the HDMI cable, the sound was fine.  Any ideas where the setting would be to turn off the sound for the HDMI cable?

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 3 of 10 (11,854 Views)

Hello,

Tangles and "Being Stuck"

The Sound may be set to come from other than you wish - sometimes the settings do not recover as one would expect when devices are added or removed.

If the Audio (Sound) settings are OK, but the system is just confused, tangled, or "stuck in a loop" about what is going on with the Sound System, then you might get away with just doing a Power Reset.  A Power Reset is nothing more than draining away the stored instructions that the computer uses from reboot to reboot and forcing the system to start over and get new instructions from the computer's Operating System.   Power Reset works for a bunch of weird stuff that tangles up notebooks and makes them act weird -- does it work for this?  Meh.  Maybe.  Quick and easy to do.  It will not change the data on your computer.  You Decide.  You are the Admin.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Forced reset

Notebooks- Power Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues- Sealed Non-Removable Battery

OR

Notebooks - Power Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues - Removable Battery

The Power Reset cannot tell the difference between drivers - it does not analyze a driver before applying it.

EXAMPLE:

If the driver on disk is the wrong driver before the Reset, it is still the wrong driver after the Reset.

If the driver INSTRUCTIONS are tangled, messed up, or missing, then the Reset may fix the problem.

Why a Power Reset works to fix some issues: 

The Hard Power Reset does not install anything on your computer, it does not remove anything from your computer, and the Reset does not change or update any of the programs on your computer.  Your data and files remain as they were before the reset was applied. 

Why a Power Reset might Not Work:

If the issue is more than just entanglement, if the "good instructions" on the computer are not good enough -- that is, if you need an update, a new driver, or if there is a problem that cannot be "untangled", then the Reset will not work.

If there is a hardware problem the Power Reset will not work.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Settings and Adjustments for the Audio System

Specifically, with the addition / removal of an HDMI cabled monitor / TV, the Default sound may have remained set on the Monitor / TV after the device was removed.

HP Notebook PCs - Notebook PC Does not Automatically Switch to Internal Speakers when Unplugging HDM...

Below is a document that covers "All Things Sound" and can help you double check the rest of the sound system:

Notebooks - No Sound from Speakers (Windows 8)

Driver Recovery

If the setup is really messed up, sometimes you have to resort to reinstalling the Audio Driver.  Because you have only had your system for a short time, you can probably use the Audio Driver in your Recovery Manager and skip having to go out and download one from your computer's website.

Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)

Good Luck!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Click the Kudos Star to say Thanks for the Help!

When the provided fix works to solve the problem --

Click this Post "Accept as Solution" to make it easier for others to find a Solution.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
jbmcpacisa
Message 4 of 10 (11,818 Views)

I was able to use the troubleshoot for sound, which reset the default, now the sound is working properly.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 5 of 10 (11,807 Views)

Good News!

I am glad it is working again.

Now you know more than you wanted to know about your sound system.  :smileyhappy:

Keep the links / intructions around in case you need them later -- things like sound can get messed up suddenly and it is painful to have to look up the "how-to" when you are in the middle of something else.

Happy Computing!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
empresasenlared
Message 6 of 10 (11,763 Views)

In my case i have a HP Envy 17 3D this is an hight end user computer but probable the mos complicate to handled it, I had audio and video problems and i don`t believe that Hp experts didn´t notice that a master short cut exist:

Press and hold the Power and the Beats buttons for 8-10 seconds.

Probably this little step save a lot of money in support departments and headhache for customers.

Why nobady know this simple fix before?

Greats.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 7 of 10 (11,728 Views)

Thanks for posting, empresasenlared.

For HP Envy systems having the Beats key on which the sound has failed,

Forum Member empresasenlared has suggested the following:

Press and hold the Power button and Beats button for 10 seconds on Envy Notebook as a solution to the "No Sound" issue.

Question:

It would be good to hear back from someone who tries this method - did it succeed in bringing back your sound?

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
empresasenlared
Message 8 of 10 (11,723 Views)

Yes As I say It works! for the HP Envy 17 3D.

This is the best computer I´ve have but, the concept of mobility doesn´t mean the same because I had not to move or unplug any component before I turn off the computer because it cause video card and sound problems even I saw customers apply high dangerous bios update (because sometimes it cause computer´s dead) in order to get back the video and sound card functionality, even the ubdates of video card doesn`t work property because of this, imagine if I´ve knew this before probably I´ve been a real happy customer.

Even when I install Win 8 the previous drivers doesn´t work I notice that some drives for Win 8 had been published but, I decide don’t try it because the high risk and time.

Greats.

Student
ingmec
Message 9 of 10 (743 Views)

Hello i had the same problem. I perfomed the hard reset and the sound came back, however few miniutes after using it, i did not get any sound again. Obviusly I can't be performing a hard reset on on on.. do you have any suggestions? 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 10 of 10 (732 Views)

ingmec,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

This is a pretty old Thread -- things have changed a bit and there is a "new bug in town":

You may have been the victim an Update issue that has been making the rounds recently:  KB2962407

If the update is the underlying case of your problem, there is a solution that should resolve the issue.

Lots of descriptions on the fix are available -- essentially you just need to uninstall the Update from Windows Update, set the Update to "Ignore" to keep it from reloading, and go about your life.

Our own Provost Expert DavidPK has provided simple and elegant instructions to remove the update and set the system to rights:

Solution: Sound only works for ~1 hour after I restart computer

Please remember to Click the Kudos on David's Post to give him credit for his work!  Thanks!

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation