Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

The volume on my laptop has been going up and down constantly for the last couple of days and it is driving me crazy. I have re-installed my sound driver, scanned for viruses and to no prevail please help. If it helps I have a hp pavilion dv5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Go to Control Panel >> programs and features and remove MediaSmart Smart Menu program...

downlaod and install it from HERE

||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

does it happens when you are running only one.. single application??

also Plz tell me the product number (p/n) written on a white sticker at the bottom of the notebook

||

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
HP Recommended

My p/n is NV104UA#ABA. No I don't have to run an application for my sound to go up and down, the minute I turn my laptop on I am greeted to the annoying sound of my volume slider.

HP Recommended

Go to Control Panel >> programs and features and remove MediaSmart Smart Menu program...

downlaod and install it from HERE

||

HP Recommended

Thank You so much, it has been an several hours now and the volume stays at a specific level.

HP Recommended

I had this problem and found this forum post.  Actually looks like you might not have to uninstall anything unless as a last resort.  If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 like I do, go into the sound settings on your system (Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound).  You'll see tabs marked "Playback", "Recording", "Sounds", and "Communications".  Look under "Communications".  You will see that Windows automatically adjusts volume using your PC when you place or receive calls.  I don't have VOIP or anything placing "calls" on or through my PC (no Skype or other such sw either), but... mine was set to "reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%".  I set it to "Do Nothing"...and this problem went away!

HP Recommended

I tried disabling this placing calls option - it did absolutely nothign to resolve my issue.

HP Recommended

I have this same problem, and neither of the suggested solutions did anything, as I didn't have the program mentioned, and the communications option didn't do anything.

HP Recommended

Hi, your answer it did help me althought i just dont understand why my volume sometimes is breaking up while video is still playing. i have a brand new HP PAVILION AND i just dont understand why this happend if my laptop is new. do you have any clue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.