Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My sound stopped working all of a sudden. When it happened I was using the sound recorder. When I tried to play one of the sounds back it said something was wrong. I then tried to watch a youtube video, but there was no sound.  After that, I tried to play music on spotify, but an error message from spotify said 'there is something wrong with my sound card.'

I found an article on steps to take to restore your sound. I tried a few things. I checked my device manger, and checked the audio driver, and it said it was 'up to date'. Also, when I did the audio troubleshoot it said it couldn't detect any problems. I tried to test the speakers as well, but an error message saying 'failed to play test tone'.  I'm not sure what to do now.

I got this laptop in December, and  updated to windows 8.1 operating system three weeks ago. That is the only big change I have made. My product number is: E0K79UA

I really need the sound back soon as soon as possible. My math class is based mostly online, and I have to watch a video of teacher for the lesson. What should I do to fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the Realtek HD Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64443.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the Realtek device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

Next, download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

Chipset Driver - Windows 8.1

When the reinstallation has completed, shutdown the notebook by holding down the Left Shift key as you click on Shutdown to temporarily prevent a hybrid boot, then unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let Windows fully load - it will automatically load an audio driver, but just let this complete.  Then open your Downloads folder, right click on the Realtek HD Audio installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the Realtek HD Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64443.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the Realtek device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

Next, download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

Chipset Driver - Windows 8.1

When the reinstallation has completed, shutdown the notebook by holding down the Left Shift key as you click on Shutdown to temporarily prevent a hybrid boot, then unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let Windows fully load - it will automatically load an audio driver, but just let this complete.  Then open your Downloads folder, right click on the Realtek HD Audio installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

DavidPK, Thank you so much!!!!! I followed all the steps (which were simple to understand btw) and the sound works perfect now!

There was still one little issue, that came up after the sound started working, when I right-clicked on the speaker icon, a message popped up and said the microphone realtek driver recent enhancements have caused issues with it. So I clicked yes to remove some of the enhancements for the microphone driver. And the mic started working again. So everything is working perfectly now.

I really appreiciate your quick response. I feel so relieved now.  Thanks again!!

Best Wishes,

Tiara

HP Recommended

help

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.