Question

mrk Student
Student
mrk
Message 1 of 10 (6,984 Views)

Sounds on HP Pavilion go off randomly

I have a Pavilion dv6000 series and just suddenly began having a sound problem. The sound will come out of my speakers for about five to ten minutes then everything goes silent. The mixer still shows that everything's working well but there's no sound coming out of the speakers -- neither my internal speakers nor either set of external speakers that I have in different rooms of my home.

I called HP tech support and we went through a variety of checks -- reinstalling the Conexant High Definition SmartAudio HD2 device, checking to see if there were updates. We did disk restores and even went so far as to do a complete disk recovery. Nothing has worked. I can be watching a movie on Netflix, a video on Youtube or listening to music on iTunes and the same thing happens. It plays for a while and then goes silent.

If I restart the computer, it plays again. Then it goes silent. If I reinstall the Conexant High Definition SmartAudio HD2, it begins playing, but soon goes silent again.

There's no indication that it's silent -- the mixer show's it's working, etc. -- except for the fact that there are no sounds coming out of the speakers.

I'm at my wit's end. This started happening two days ago and I've spent hours on the phone with HP techs and nothing has worked. My job depends on hearing music and watching videos on my computer and I've lost a tremendous amount of time trying to figure this thing out. Has anybody heard of such a problem? Can anyone help me with this?
Honor Student
iris0004
Message 2 of 10 (6,860 Views)

Re: Sounds on HP Pavilion go off randomly

I just wanted to let you know that your not alone. I have a Pavilion dv7-1135nr and have been having the same issues. I've been trying to get help through costomer support too and nothing has worked. I hope they can figure something out soon to help us.
Student
stevegold
Message 3 of 10 (6,730 Views)

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-1133cl. When I started it up this morning, the button at the top to turn the

audio on and off was orange (off) rather than white (on). So far, nothing I have tried has turned it back

on, including restarting, configuring speakers, etc. I think this has happened before, but I don't recall

what I did to clear it. 

Student
Looknohands
Message 4 of 10 (6,430 Views)

Yes...i have a DV5 1134TX (Australian model) and have been having the exact same issue. And i'm far from happy about it.

If HP are truely are actually monitoring this thread can you please get busy and fix this problem......hardly worthwhile having an "entertainment PC" if it loses its sound every 20 minutes or so. It gets pretty embarassing when the sound dies in the middel of every presentation that i do.

My bet is that this is a hardware issue and they are busy counting how many effected laptops there are out in the big wide world that all need replacement main boards to fix this very poor piece of design.

I knew my company should have got us all the Toshiba U400 instead. Lighter, cooler, better HDD ....... that'll happen when bean counters do the shopping without letting the geeks evaluate the item first.

Lets go HP - time to fix this.

Honor Student
iris0004
Message 5 of 10 (6,423 Views)

I just wanted to update my reply. My computer is now at the point that the sound doesn't work at all, so I started using my head phones while I tried to fix the issue. And now those don't work either. I've been trying to fix it with the HP customer service, they we're telling me that I needed to reload my windows and that it will take care of the issue. Well before I did this I wanted to back up my computer so that I didn't lose all the files on my computer. But it turns out that my backup software was messed up too! They told me that they would send me the software to fix the backup system, after giving me the run around about it for over a week. Now after telling me that the software wouldn't cost me anything and having emails that confirm it, they are trying to make me pay for it before they will send it to me! I will never, ever buy another HP computer, if for nothing else than for the horrible customer service!

Honor Student
devonackerson
Message 6 of 10 (6,353 Views)

i have a similar (if not the same) issue 0n my dv5.  whenever i connect with an hdmi cable if i let the computer sleep it loses sound.  all settings show sound should be coming out.  if i restart the computer i get sound back.  i tracked the problem to the idt audio monitor.  i wasn't able to find any patches or idt updates but if you go to msconfig and disable the idt audio from the startup list the problem stops.
Student
rubanoriver
Message 7 of 10 (4,551 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello I have a DV5 with the same problem. Wondering if you had any luck. My email is [text removed for privacy]. I tried to do what you posted with the msconfig but didnt locat the idt sound portion you were mentioning.

Student
Kwesi_Nkromah
Message 8 of 10 (4,407 Views)

I'm having a very similar issue.

The sound on my Pavilion 6500 only works occasionally after a restart. Then, it will only put out sound for a few minuets. All other times the sound is gone or the Audio Device is mysteriously missing. I've tried installing drivers and even contacted HP and purchased what I was told was the sound card (the card that all the jacks go into). Nothing worked.

can someone please help!!

Honor Student
HeidiM
Message 9 of 10 (4,382 Views)

I have a similar problem (describing it exactly below in another thread) with my Pavilion dv7-3113eo.

A brand new laptop and the sound just goes off randomly, and is followed with a problem to play .mp3 - any media player just gives an error message when you try.

Would hate to send it straight back to HP to fix it, but what else can you do.

Honor Student
nellieajlouny
Message 10 of 10 (1,358 Views)

the speakers are off, no sound on pavillion hp , cannot hear the videos

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation