Question

Student
noisyl
Message 1 of 1 (438 Views)

Speakers and Headphone Jack stopped working

I own an HP Envy 17 3D (1195ea). Its running Win7 64 Pro.

Yesterday the laptop was working perfectly fine. I didnt move it and it stayed on the same desk. When I shut it down last night (12th Sept) it was working with both the speakers and headphones. This morning I turned it on and it applied some windows updates. I then tried to play some MP3s and there was no sound coming out of either the speakers or headphones.

I have done a system restore to the 31st Aug to see if that solves the issue without any luck. I have also downloaded the latest drivers for the Audio and both uninstalled the old ones and then installed the latest with no fix.

As far as windows is concerned the sound card is working as advertised. The audio is playing according to VLC, Winamp and WMP and there are no problems with the hardware in the Device Manager. I have also used the windows troubleshooter in control panel and that comes back with no problems.

If I run the beats software and plug in my headphones it detects the headphones so the socket is working correctly. Just with no sound. Equally when I unplug them it switches back to speaker mode.

Audio is still working over HDMI on my TV as well.

I am by no means a noob with computers and have built a number from scratch but I am literally stumped by this.

Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation