toastednow
Message 1 of 5 (3,539 Views)

Speakers don't work, but headphone jacks do

I have a HP Pavilion dv1000. 

Windows XP Pro

Conexant HD Audio output 

Altec Lansing speakers

Legacy Audio drivers

The speakers on the laptop don't work at all. Not even at max volume. However BOTH headphone jacks work perfect. 

Could it just be that my speakers are broken? Or is there a separate driver? 

Honor Student
hpfish
Message 2 of 5 (3,531 Views)

Re: Speakers don't work, but headphone jacks do

I had the same problem with my dv6000.  Tried everything with HP support, reinstall drivers, upgrade bios, change settings in sound etc.   Turns out it was the power button ribbon that also connects to audio.   I replaced it myself by ordering the power button ribbon, and found a facebook page that shows how to open the quickplay panel and remove keyboard.   It's a known issue covered by recall.  You could start by asking HP if they will replace it.
Honor Student
toastednow
Message 3 of 5 (3,513 Views)

So basically there's no power ribbon at all or it's just not connected?

Do you have any links about the recall? 

Student
ajsmpolar
Message 4 of 5 (2,560 Views)

Hello, I have the same problem where my headphone jacks both work, but the primary speakers do not.  Do you have any information that would be helpful?

Thanks

Andy Miller

Honor Student
hpfish
Message 5 of 5 (2,530 Views)

Here's the link to the eBay site to purchase new ribbons.  I got mine from the place that charges $4.99

http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_nkw=HP+dv6000+POWER+BUTTON+PANEL+431423+001+w+Ribbon

download the manual for DV6000 at HP's website.   Page 76 & 77 show you how to remove screws to take off keyboard and power button/speaker cover panel.   There are also several Utube sites that provide some video of this process.  Then gently pull out the old power ribbon and replace.   (Note:  there are two similar looking ribbons.  It's the one that connect to the power button.

hope this helps

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation