Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavillion 23th touch screen thru HDMI with audio.  I am attempting to add an external speaker system thru the built in NVIDIA sound board.  I cannot direct the audio from the monitor to the audio output jack. Any suggestions?  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey @Ekecko ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand your trying to direct the audio from your touchscreen monitor to external speakers, when connected via HDMI.

If you check the User Guide (page 6) for your display, you will find that the audio jack on the monitor is a line in port. Not a line out. This means the jack does not actually output any sound and is for users that do not use HDMI connections for sound input to be played through the speakers of the display. 

If you wish to use external speakers instead of the HDMI sound, please connect the speakers to your notebook and set the default audio device:

1. Right click the speaker icon in your system tray.
  2. Select Playback Devices.
  3. Click the Speakers/Headphones.
  4. Click Set Default at the bottom.

Hopefully this helps!

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have my speakers attached and the speakers/headphone setting is selected as the default.  I still don't get any sound from the speakers.  When I make the monitor the default speaker, I get no sound either.  I switched to the DVI cable and still no sound.

HP Recommended

Hey Ekecko,

Thanks for the update. I wasn't totally sure if you had connected the speakers to the monitor or to the notebook so I went with the basic suggestion first.

Can you tell me if sound is working without the monitor connected through the notebook speakers?

I would also suggest making sure the GPU and Sound Card drivers are up to date. You can download these here: HP - Drivers & Downloads.

It would also help to know which version of Windows you are using and which notebook you have. For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? To see which version of Windows you are using click here: Which Windows operating system am I running?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks Great Deku Tree, you have been a big help but I think my problem is with the speakers.  I tried headphones in the port and they work fine.  The speakers are a 3 speaker set, 2 + subwoofer but there is only one jack to plug in but my computer has 3 ports, blue, green, and pink.  I think the speakers are not compatible with this computer as they were with my previous one, which only had one port, the green.  I'll look into new speakers.  Thanks for all you help.

Ekecko

HP Recommended

Hey Ekecko,

No problem!

Don't forget, you might be able to save some cash by getting a USB external sound card as well if that's a viable option for you. 

Thanks! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.