Question

Student
evldead
Message 1 of 48 (45,824 Views)
Accepted Solution

Touch (scroll) buttons not working on HP pavilion DV7

Hello I'm new here. I just bought an HP pavilion DV7 1285dx entertainment notebook 5 days ago and the touch buttons for the volume,mute,play,pause,forward,back buttons and wi-fi quit working. They never really seemed to work perfectly. kind of hit and miss and the volume scroll would kinda go crazy. They don't work at all now and I was wondering if there might be something I could try before I return the notebook to Best Buy? Again these are the touch buttons between the keyboard and the screen. Any help would be appreciated.
Student
DevonC
Message 2 of 48 (45,730 Views)

Re: Touch (scroll) buttons not working on HP pavilion DV7

I have absolutely no idea but I am having the exact same problem.  They worked for awhile, with some intermittent issues with the volume going crazy, and all of a sudden they don't work.  I've been reading elsewhere that it may have something to do with the driver or something?  I guess we'll see what other people suggest.  Just wanted you to know that you're not alone!
Intern
Ryger3351
Message 3 of 48 (45,081 Views)

I'm in the same boat.

Just bought an HP Pavilion DV7-2185DX Entertainment PC from Best Buy on Sunday, 9 Aug 2009.

Touch buttons stopped working on Tuesday, and haven't worked since.

To make matters worse, there is no Volume Mute button on the keyboard it self, so to shut off the sound you must already be completely logged into Windows.

I'll post again if I find a fix for it.

Student
esteban1976
Message 4 of 48 (45,049 Views)

im in the same situation! i own an hp pavilion dv7-1245 and is doing the same thing!
Intern
Ryger3351
Message 5 of 48 (45,019 Views)

Hi Esteban1976.  I think I found the fix (at least this is what finally worked for me).

Follow these steps:

1. Shut-down the laptop completely (not sleep, or hibernate).

2. Unplug the AC Power Adapter from the Laptop.

3. Remove the Battery from the Laptop.

4. Press, and hold, the power button for 30-Seconds.

5. Put the Battery back in, plug in the adapter, and turn on the laptop.

HP says that these actions will remove all capacitive and static charges in the laptop.

It worked both times that I had the problem.

Not sure exactly why it worked, but I'm guessing it's because the touch-buttons have memory registers associated with them that become unresponsive (or latched) due to static charge/discharge from "touching", and don't loose their charge until all power sources have been removed, and the circuitry grounded out.

Let me know if it worked for you too.

Student
BrendaAnnD
Message 6 of 48 (42,677 Views)

Ryger3351 = life saver!  Thank you very much for your most helpful post.

Student
yathish
Message 7 of 48 (42,657 Views)

man u r a life saver u just made my work easy 

was tensed as my laptop was just a month old i already started problem with the touch buttons of volume control,they where not working and had no idea whom to contact 

but u your genius dude your advise really worked thanks a lot .............

yathish
Student
David85901
Message 8 of 48 (41,635 Views)

Just want to add my thanks to Ryger3351 for his post.  Completed the process he outlined and all in order.  For what its worth, when the problem first arose a few days ago (I have had my laptop for about 14 months and the scroll buttons have worked fine til then) I sent an e-mail to HP customer service about the problem and asked for some direction.  Received a prompt reply the same day telling me to do a System Restore to earlier point; if not resolved to then uninstall Quick Launch drivers in Device Manager and reinstall latest BIOS update and Quick Launch button drivers.  Duh!  I went through all the processes that were suggested following all the directions, which were quite thoroughly explained.  Still no change in scroll buttons operation.  Informed HP yesterday that nothing had worked, and reply came back, again the same day, telling me to do a complete System Restore to original specs.  In essence, a reformat of my system.  No way was I going to go through that process, and just by chance linked up to this forum.  So lesson learned on my end - check here first for any issues.  HP Customer Service was very quick to respond, which I appreciate, but clearly the info that I received was way off.  A full restore/reformat will always solve most problems, but who wants to go through that major job unless absolutely needed.  Thanks again for the quick fix.

Intern
Ryger3351
Message 9 of 48 (41,619 Views)

Hi David85901,

I just wanted to add that I had gone through the whole process with HP support same as you, but I did go through with the complete system restore, and after all that crap... the buttons still didn't work.  Yikes!

Their next step was to have me mail the laptop back to them for service.

I'm an I.T. guy myself, although laptops aren't one of my specialties (I'm a systems engineer).  I don't like having to mail things back for service unless it's really necessary...  feels like admitting defeat.

I finally convinced them to let me speak with a tier-3 support engineer before mailing it back.  I don't remember her name (Carla, or Kara, or Mara... anyway), but she's the one that shared the "fix" with me, and said it probably wasn't documented for tier-1 & 2 support (at the time), but had come across the same problem before, and that's how their shop fixed it.

Happy Computing...

Student
seagle
Message 10 of 48 (40,556 Views)

Thanks so much! This worked like a charm. The problem has been driving me nuts. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation