Update removes audio drivers and fails to re-install them/ no outpud audio deviece is installed... (3913 Views)
Honor Student
HP PavilionDV9k
Message 1 of 12 (3,913 Views)

Update removes audio drivers and fails to re-install them/ no outpud audio deviece is installed...

Hello, My computer is an HP DV9000 series and I just recently updated my windows vista ultimate. When I did this it also added an update for my audio driver Conexant - Audio - Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 

Installation date: ‎5/‎4/‎2009 3:32 PM

Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 800F020B
Update type: Optional
Conexant Audio software update released in March, 2008
As you can see the installatiion faiiled for the new drivers and I think that it automaticall removed the old ones to make way for the new. When I go to device manager there isn't anything and under playback devices it's blank. Also when I hover my cursor over the audio controll icon it just tells me "No Audio Output Device Is Installed." I have tried getting new drivers for this but when I go to install them I get an error stating "Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the MEDIA device for this driver." I have tried getting more updates, Restoring to a previious time, downloading new drivers, Restarting computer and resetting BIOS settings. If you have an answer to my problem please save me because it is really annoying. Also, my ii key types two i's when I hit it once.
Intern
sebas215
Message 2 of 12 (3,686 Views)

Re: Update removes audio drivers and fails to re-install them/ no outpud audio deviece is installed.

if only i could contact this person somehow and ask them if they fixed it can somebody solve this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Honor Student
bpinmex
Message 3 of 12 (3,638 Views)

Re: Update removes audio drivers and fails to re-install them/ no outpud audio deviece is installed.

I contacted HP and they know nothing.  So I guess that we are suffering from another Windows screw up. 
Intern
sebas215
Message 4 of 12 (3,602 Views)

great

well one thing is for sure its an update maybe if we keep testing the updates by installing one by one to check sound progress we will give them a way to fix this. By doing this you would need to reinstall factory settings

Honor Student
HP PavilionDV9k
Message 5 of 12 (3,408 Views)

Ok, it has been over 6 months since I have had sound on my laptop and i have downloaded the drivers for my audio device but they only work one out of fifteen times that i start my computer. Then if they do work it lasts for about 20 mins.... then freezes. Ii think it is a problem with the computers motherboard and it's configuration with the sound card because sound cards don't usually cut in and out and still keep system sounds working. Im sorry i couldn't help figure this out but anyone who can would have to be very good with computers.
tbo Tutor
Tutor
tbo
Message 6 of 12 (3,401 Views)

This is a very common problem and there is no cure including going back to original factory install. (at least for me and for the other 100 or so posts that I've read on the subject).

I think HP has set these to fail at a certain date or time so you give up and go buy a new computer.

It does seem kind of amazing considering the plathora of people with the same problem that HP doesn't even acknowledge it (they know) let alone advise some sort of fix. They don't care about fixing your computer. They want you to buy a new one.

Top Student
HPdv6618ca_edmo
Message 7 of 12 (2,827 Views)

I am fedup with this problem. Nothing works. I agree with you HP don't care and don help in solving this issue. Facotry reset does give me the voice back but it lasts only for few minutes!

HP laptops with windows software really sucks! I am not going to buy another HP ever. This is my 2nd bad experience with HP.

If you do somehow find out a solution for this problem, please post it here

Thanks

Honor Student
HP PavilionDV9k
Message 8 of 12 (2,302 Views)

Just felt like posting again to say that it has been 1 year since I fiirst lost sound on my laptop and I have gotten use to not having it..... HP sucks

Top Student
Reddiance
Message 9 of 12 (2,264 Views)

Yea, they probably want you to buy a new computer, but heck, I'm not going to buy HP !!! I emailed them with this same problem, and they didnt even answer back. Then they have the gall to send me an email for a satisfaction survey! My sound goes out, then comes back days later. There could be another solution. I've seen a product called "USB Sound". Basically a usb device that is used for sound. I'm getting so fed up with this problem, that I may just buy it. Only costs around $20

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 10 of 12 (2,246 Views)

[ Edited ]

I found a solution for XP so try it on Vista..

Go to ControlPanel->System->Hardware->DeviceManager
Select your audio device marked with '?'.
Select Details.
Now yo can see something like:
AUDIO\VEN_14F1&DEV_5051&SUBSYS_103C30D9
14F1 & 5051 strins are "Conexant cx20561" or "Conexant HD-Audio SmartAudio 221" identification. Add the string 103C30D9 in .inf file located in
ConexantHDAudio 221_XP\XP32\WiSVHe5.inf
in a line like:
%HdAudioFunctionDriver.Hermosa5051.DeviceDesc% = HdAudModel,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5051&SUBSY S_103C30D9
Save and install the driver. Now the installer will recognize your hardware.
Gool look!!
edit: You have nothing in the device manager so ignore this post..
Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation