Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, the vol +/- and mute buttons have stopped functioning on my pavilion g7 1260ca running win7 home prem 64 bit.  All other buttons perform.  I've tried the shut down ,remove a/c, battery, press pwr  reboot - no luck.  I've uninstalled Quick Launch and had the HP website scan my system to detect missing software and drivers and it said all was fine.  I downloaded Quick Launch from this forum still no luck. Please advise where I might confirm and install the correct QL for my laptop

thanx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The volume and mute functionality should be provided by the audio driver, so try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55026.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed,restart the notebook once again.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

The volume and mute functionality should be provided by the audio driver, so try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55026.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed,restart the notebook once again.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
yup - that was it! Thanks DP-K for your quick and correct responce

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome, glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I've got a HP G56-130SA and my volume buttons have stopped working. Please help? I'm a musician so I am using the buttons quite a bit when performing live.

HP Recommended

I have a similar problem but the volume buttons work sometimes and don't work sometime. I've got an HP Pavilion g7-1310us with Win 7 64bit. I use firefox to watch youtube videos. Sometimes I can adjust the sound and sometimes there is no response to the buttoms. I can adjust through the windows volume icon but I want the keyboard buttons to work reliabily.

HP Recommended

My mute button also stopped working when playing Youtube clips. As soon as I press play on a Youtube video, the button no longer toggles mute/unmute, the on-screen fading icon appears but doesn't change state (if it was mutted, it stays mutted).

I think this started when I updated to the latest flash (version 11,3,300,265). The mute button works everywhere, except when a Youtube clips is focused (it was clicked and is in the foreground).

HP Recommended
I found a small free program "3RVX". It allows the volume to be controlled easily from the mouse wheel. It works reliably all the time. Hp needs to make their volume and mute keys also work reliably all the time. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, isn't good.
HP Recommended

Looks like I found what was causing the problem and it's not HP.

The current version of Adobe Flash Player (11.3) is the problem. There are multiple issues under Firefox 13 and Firefox 14:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2491751&p=12156593

It took me just a couple of days to notice all three of them:

1. Blocking key controls on Youtube (the laptop's mute button).

2. Browser window losing focus when the flash player plug-in is loading for the first time or reloading.

3. Video tearing when scrolling a page with a flash video embedded.

And none of this has been fixed for over a month now (you can find bug reports).

I downgraded to Flash Player 11.2 which you can find on Adobe's website (manually uninstall current version first, there are instructions for this). Solved those three issues (I hate all things Adobe with a passion).

HP Recommended

I tried the solution offered by DP-K, but it did not work for me.....But I do want to say thank you for the help....I will keep checking for an answer and eventually call HP tech support if needed~~My volume can still be controlled with my mouse...but it was so easy to mute it with a quick tap when I got phone calls

Thank you again for trying to help with my problem,

Billieann01

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.