Question

Student
swice
Message 1 of 3 (7,085 Views)

Volume control buttons on my keyboard aren't working

Can someone tell me if there is a way to make the volume control buttons on my keyboard start working?  I don't know if I have a quality issue with the (new)product or if there is some simple way to resolve the problem.  Thanks.
Student
rfstuart8676
Message 2 of 3 (6,726 Views)

Re: Volume control buttons on my keyboard aren't working

I have the same problem...I have a P6204 Special Edition.  I can't remember when my volume controls have ever worked.  I have worked with HP Tech through Chat OnLine without success.  I've tried installing original driver but system does let it install and reverts to Microsoft default driver.  I've spent 3 hours on chat with a bunch of people who don't have a clue.  Does anyone out there have a clue?

I'm running Win 7 Home Pre/64.

Robert

Intern
DustysMomma
Message 3 of 3 (6,712 Views)

Re: Volume control buttons on my keyboard aren't working

See this post and see if it helps you too: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware/Sigmatel-c-major-audio-driver/m-p/279865#M20108

This is one of the same symptoms that many with the issue in that post reported also, and many of them started with this problem before they got the error about the audio driver needing to be updated. Many also report issues with the lights on the touchpad being inoperable. On my dv7-1285dx, that means that my wifi gets incapacitated!

Another thing to try, if this is a problem that just happened this week, is to do a system restore to the restore point before this week's windows updates were installed. One of them jacked up my touchpad buttons and wifi as soon as it was installed. I rolled back to the respore point and have shut off the automatic update on my machine to keep it from happening again. One up the updates from this week was a driver update for wifi link, and I think that may be the culprit, so until they fix that again, I will be manually selecting updates....again.

HP dv7-1285dx, upgraded to Windows 7 November, 2009 and now loving her computer again!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation