Question

Student
missdidz
Message 1 of 3 (3,238 Views)

When I connect my hp pavilion dv5 with my LG TV with an HDMI, I can't hear any sound on TV.

I restored my computer to a restore point, but that didnot help.

I bought a new HDMI, but that didnot help either. 

I went to the control panel, to check if the HDMI is enabled, and it was enabled.

After connecting the TV and laptop with HDMI, I went to manage audio devices in the control panel it said that : the HDMI is enabled but not plugged in.  :smileysurprised:

This is very strange, it used to work before. Now, I can see it and there is no sound at all, after connection the sound comes from my laptop.

Please Help! :smileysad:

Thank you in advance.  :smileyhappy:

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 3 (3,234 Views)

Re: When I connect my hp pavilion dv5 with my LG TV with an HDMI, I can't hear any sound on TV.

MissDidz,

Things to Try / Consider:

Reset the HDMI

• If it was all working previously, then maybe you must need a bit of a "reset".  Give this doc a look, at the last section "HDMI icon always displays "not plugged in":

Resolving HDMI Display and Sound Issues

Text from the Document:

If the HDMI icon displays Not Plugged in , audio and video cannot be output to the HDMI port.
To remove Not Plugged in status from the HDMI icon, follow the steps below.
  1. Remove the HDMI cable from the HDMI port on the notebook PC.
  2. Reinsert the HDMI cable into the HDMI port on the notebook PC.
  3. After approximately ten seconds, switch the audio source in the Control Panel.
To switch the audio source in the Control Panel, follow the steps below.
  1. Click Start , Control Panel , Hardware and Sound , and then Sound .
  2. Select another audio device, click Set Default , and then OK .
The HDMI icon no longer displays Not Plugged-in status. Audio and video can now output to the HDMI port.

(Re)Install your Drivers

Things may be out of date.  You may need to update your Audio and Video drivers.

• You may Uninstall current drivers first: Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features
  • If asked for a Restart / Reboot, do Restart / Reboot the computer.

To install from your HP website,

Go to your computer's Software and Drivers website - start at Support and Drivers

• Enter your information,
  • find your audio and video drivers (Categories Audio and Graphics),
  • download and install the updated drivers
  • Restart / Reboot the computer, if prompted to do so

Next, Set the Sound for your HDMI setup:

Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Right-Click on plain white area >

CHECK "Show Disabled Devices"

CHECK "Show Disconnected Devices"

(Both checked)

Right-Click on HDMI output > "Set as Default Device"

========================================================================

I hope this helps...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give Kudos for the help.

Please Click “Accept as Solution” on the lower Right to accept the fix.

Always Include:  (Computer) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Never give out your Serial Number

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
SCFunk
Message 3 of 3 (3,198 Views)

Re: When I connect my hp pavilion dv5 with my LG TV with an HDMI, I can't hear any sound on TV.

I have the same issue with a Pavillion dv7. I am using AMD High Definition Audio Device Driver 7.12.0.7706 and IDT High Definition Audio Codec Driver 6.10.6345.0. No matter what I do to plug/unplug, restart with/without cable both the windows sound and beats audio control panel refuse to acknowledge that I have the cable plugged in, although picture quality is fantastic, its a real pain to have to run a 1/8" audio jack from my machine to the tv just to compensate for this error, any other suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation