Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 17t-j100
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello. I have an HP Envy 17t-j100 with windows 8.1. I have noticed that anything I play on my laptop is lower quality to anything I play on any other device. I used the same headphones. My guess is it has something to do with the beats audio. If i uncheck the beats audio thing, it just makes it sound even worse. Is there a way to remove the beats or whatever is making sounds sound bad? Is beats even the problem? What can I do? Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Gobbling_Monkey ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome.  I have looked into your issue with the sound not working correctly from your HP ENVY 17j100 Notebook.  The first thing to try is this

1. Right click the Speaker icon in the bottom right corner by your time.
2. Click Playback Devices.
3. Click Speakers.
4. Click properties.
5. Click the advanced tab on the Properties window.
6. Change the Default Format drop-down to the highest quality.
7. Apply the properties.
8. Click OK to close the properties window. Restart your Notebook.

If this does not help try HP support document No Sound from Speakers. It has a number of good troubleshooting steps including using the built-in Windows troubleshooter.

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system  that might need updating. If an update is needed this could cause sound issues.

The Troubleshooting tool in Windows 8 can automatically fix common problems with your computer, such as audio recording. Here is a link to this.

If you still want to disable or uninstall the Beats follow these instructions. To enable or disable Beats Audio, press the fn key in combination with the b key. The Jack does have influence on the Beats Audio which might need to be turned off.

Here is a document on how to uninstall software. The bottom link shows you how to disable software.

Hope this is what you need.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello. Thank you for your reply. I did do this. It did not make much of a difference. The sound quality on other devices are still better. What else can I do? Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @Gobbling_Monkey ,

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link to get the support number for your region. They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I got this similar problem with my Laptop but I found the solution.

TRY THIS:
1. Right click the Speaker icon in the bottom right corner by your time.
2. Click <Playback Devices>.
3. Click <Speakers>.
4. Click <Properties>.
5. Click the <Advanced> tab.
6. Unchek <Enable audio enhancements>.
7. Click <Apply> then <OK>.

You may want also to do the same on your other Playback devices like Communications Headphones.

Hope this can help.

HP Recommended

This solved the problem for me. Check whether it will help with your case. 

Right click on the speaker icon at the bottom of the screen or wherever your taskbar is.

Click on playback devices.

On the pop-up menu click on speakers.

Click on properties.

Click the advanced button.

On the default format dropdown menu select the format your are comfortable with, Preferably a higher format will give better quality.

Uncheck the exclusive mode dialog boxes(both of them).

Apply the settings and click ok. 

HP Recommended

Thank you! Totally fixed the problem. Went from transistor radio quality to full spectrum sound as it should be and I'm a sound designer as a profession. Again, thank you for that tip. Seemed very counter-intuitive that those exlusive modes had anything to do with sound quality 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.