Why isn't all my sound coming from my headphones? Part of it is and part of it isn't. Why? (77321 Views)
Top Student
sweet_chick1828
Message 1 of 15 (77,321 Views)

Why isn't all my sound coming from my headphones? Part of it is and part of it isn't. Why?

When I get on skype, sound comes from my headphones but when I get on a game called SecondLife and play music it comes through the computer and not my headphones. Why is that? When I go to the volume control at the bottom of my screen it has the headphones option and the speakers and headphones option but I want all my sound to come out of just the headphones option but I don't know how to do that. Please help. Thank you so much. 

Top Student
sweet_chick1828
Message 2 of 15 (77,293 Views)

Re: Why isn't all my sound coming from my headphones? Part of it is and part of it isn't. Why?

I think I solved the issue finally just by playing with some stuff. Thank you anyway.

Top Student
sweet_chick1828
Message 3 of 15 (77,276 Views)

Re: Why isn't all my sound coming from my headphones? Part of it is and part of it isn't. Why?

I thought I had solved my problem but it turns out I have not, I tried different headphones and it's not the headphones. Please can someone tell me how I can get ALL sound to come through my headphones and not the speakers on the laptop? It's a Pavilion dv7-4285dx Entertainment PC. When I go to the bottom right wher the sound thing is there is two options, on the left it says Independent Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC) and on the right it says Speakers and Headphones (IDT High Definiton Audio CODEC). When I try to mute the Speakers and Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC) no music will come out at all. Is there a way that I can make the Independent Headphones the one that all things come through as far as sound? When I am talking on skype to my friends I hear them through the Independent Headphones but no other sounds or music from anywhere else goes through the Independent Headphones.

Honor Student
ArcherOfLove
Message 4 of 15 (76,882 Views)

I have the same problem as another person who wrote you guys before. I did not see a posted response to her question. I have the same problem. Please answer her? I have a feeling it's a glitch in your system. I have an HP DV5 and i have the same problem. Please get back to me and let me know how to fix it?

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 5 of 15 (76,869 Views)

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the Forum Sweet_Chick1828

There are a lot of options - it may help to adjust the separate controls to allow or mute the sound according to the device and application being used.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit.  Your situation may differ sllightly.

For the purposes of this post:

"Sound" = Right-Click on the Sound icon c01455655.gif in the Taskbar

The first thing is to get the Volume Mixer control to recognize that you have a "Sound Control" that needs attention.  This means: there is some application out there, say Skype that you want to control.  You have to make the Volume mixer aware of the application.  (This may not be true in the strictest sense, but it may help tie things together visually and give you a reference for later.)

VolumeOptions and Mixer Controls

• Start Skype (or other application, game...) and give it a little time to get into the process table (about 15 seconds or more).  
  • Open Skype's Options --> Audio --> Advanced  (You may or may not want to look at and/or change what's in there - your choice.  Updating Skype options is outside of the scope of this post but it could be useful and/or necessary for your setup.)  Note the drop down menu in the Advanced setting.  If you have more than one audio chip (depending on your particluar computer, you may see more options.  If you have an additional webcam connected to your system that has its own microphone and its own speaker, you will see an option for that as well.  You can pick and choose how you want it set up.
  • Sound --> Volume Control Options --> Check any box that represents a device that has a speaker  (you may wish to turn off some stuff later: for now, if it has a speaker and it's connected to the computer, check the box)
  • Click OK
  • Sound --> Open Volume Mixer --> You should see controls for your speakers and headphones (maybe together), your system sounds, Skype (and/or other application(s)).

Volume Mixer Control - WYSIWYG

Notice the line "-----" that intersects across the different Devices from one volume control slider to the next.  That is the "master" slider.  If you slide the master - the other sound controls respond.  The same is true of the "on" c01180122.gif and the "off" or "mute" c01180121.gif controls:  if you use the master, the others respond.  You can turn individual devices on/off by selecting how you select the controls.

There is more: 

Application Control:

Decide whether you want a device to be controlled by a running application.  The best way to decide this, frankly, is to test it with your setup.  If someone tells you that "this" way or "that" way is best, you may find that under a particluar set of circumstances it is NOT the way, and then - Poof!  that person is WRONG.  Best to find out what works.  My opinion:  Right now, I have both boxes on this page UNCHECKED until I find out I need it otherwise.

Example path using Speakers and Headphones:

Sound --> Playback --> Select Speakers and Headphones --> Properties --> Advanced --> Exclusive Mode

Disable what you do NOT want used:

This is a workaround, that is "not a solution", only something that may work as a temporary Stop-Gap.  Disable the device that you do not want active.  When/If you want it active again, Enable it.  Might be worth trying.

Restore Defaults:

If you get into trouble with all these setups and it gets tangled up beyond repair, just set it all back and start over.  Do this for each of your devices (Speakers and Headphones, Headphones, everything...)

Sound --> Playback --> Select Speakers and Headphones --> Properties --> Advanced --> Restore Defaults

I've been informed that the software is not coorperative in all cases.  These adjustments have worked for some users in some cases - apparently it depends on the individual situation as much as anything.  I hope this works for you, at the least, gives you more control over the options that you have available.

Kudos are Earned!                  Kudos make us feel shiny and tall --- "Accept as Solution" if it Benefits All

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
TrevorD777
Message 6 of 15 (76,860 Views)

I too am having the exact same problem with my HP Pavilion dv6, and sorry to say this Dragon-fur but you idea still dose not work with the Speaker/earphone problems we are having. In fact again all window application sounds are going through the earphones but now all game sounds are totaly muted dispite the fact I have not turned on any mute features at all, showing that this is a HP software/hardware glitch/bug.

I know you were trying to help and I thank you but unfortunatly we need HP to step up to the mark and please explain why they are refusing to even address the issue.  We need this fixed ASAP, and in my case I am an IT Tech and need to know how to resolve this issue for my customers whom some have bought HPs due to my reconmendations, now if any start to play games with headphones in then I need to know how to fix it! 

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 7 of 15 (76,852 Views)

Welcome to the Forum, TrevorD777.

Indeed.  Well, I've edited my Post to accept your diagnosis.  Nevertheless, I'll leave it in place for what value may be gleaned from its contents.  The sound settings should allow some measure of control within their limitations.

I no longer must speak for a group of users - my IT days are safely behind me.  I'm here of free will.  Smiling.  I understand your concerns and I remember the burden of frustration when a known issue goes unheeded for too long.

Thanks for posting and adding your voice.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
mindight_fox
Message 8 of 15 (65,092 Views)

im also on a hp pavilion dv6 so im gonna assume thats part of the issue but im trying to just play a game on steam and the sound will start out fine but when i go to use voice chat everything changes back over to the external speakers... the only thing i can do to fix it is to completely restart my laptop which is kinda of incinvenient in the middle of a game

Honor Student
MozillaHostile
Message 9 of 15 (60,199 Views)

Yeah, my Skype sounds come through my speakers and not my headphones. Everything else is fine but Skype. It really bugs 

me when I'm getting calls or IMs

Honor Student
LjBlade
Message 10 of 15 (40,397 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums but I have a quick fix for everyone here as I was having the same problems as most of you.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a HP Pavillion Dv6 so this option may not be available to all of you.

Right click on your sound icon in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen (on the taskbar).
Next click on "Playback Devices" in the menu that appears, (Should be at the top of the menu).

If you only have your headset connected then there should be 2 options:

Option 1) "Speakers and Headphones"
Option 2) "Communications Headphones" - This option may vary by headset or whatever connected device you are using.

Right click on "Speakers and Headphones"
Then click "Disable"

This should switch all sound through to your headphones/connected device.

Just remember to re-enable it again by the same method when you're finished or you will get no sound through your Notebooks built-in speaker system.

Happy Gaming Everyone :smileyhappy:
LjBlade

Note: This worked for a short time for me but in playing Killing Floor the sound from the game vanished completely. Maybe you will get better results.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation