Question

Student
TEarley
Message 1 of 4 (7,580 Views)

Why won't my speakers cut out when my headphones are plugged in? (Pavilion g4-1117dx w/ Windows 7)

As of three hours ago, my HP Pavilion g4-1117dx Notebook (Product No. LW338UA#ABA, Windows 7 Home Premium) speakers would shut off when I plugged in my headphones, as they should. Just an hour ago, I tried plugging them in and a number of things was wrong. First, the main laptop speakers were still playing audio. Second, only the left earbud would play any sound, the right was completely dead. If the head phones are not entirely plugged in, sound will play through both earbuds as well as the speakers. I'm 100% sure this is not a problem with my headphones because I tried multiple pairs, all yielding the same result. After installing the updates recommended by HP Support Assistant (including at least one for IDT Audio), the problem persists. I just had the screen replaced a few days back and I highly doubt that could have effected the jack, but you never know. I have seen a thousand responses to similar problems giving the very vague and unclear solution of going into the control panel and setting the speakers as the default; I've already check multiple times to be sure this was right, and, as far as I can tell, I can't even make it so they are not the default. I have some very basic skill with computers, but Would still consider myself a novice. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Honor Student
Malakie
Message 2 of 4 (7,548 Views)

Re: Why won't my speakers cut out when my headphones are plugged in? (Pavilion g4-1117dx w/ Windows

I have the same issue....  hp dv6-6145dx laptop...  let it do all updates and now when I plug headphones in it does not auto switch from speakers to headphones or vice versus...

I tried a reboot thinking something just got messed up...  If I plug headphones in immediately after a reboot and before loading any software the switch from speaker to headphone works!   But once I run something that uses sound, like a game, the switch no longer occurs and the only way to get it to work again is a reboot...

Teacher
martyct
Message 3 of 4 (7,540 Views)

Re: Why won't my speakers cut out when my headphones are plugged in? (Pavilion g4-1117dx w/ Windows

On my computer if I go to control panel, hardware and sound, then sound. Under sound there is "manage audio devices". In that window there are speakers listed as well as headphones. When I plug in a set of phones the display changes to the headphones and they become the defalt device.

Perhaps it may help to see if your computer is detecting the headphones using this method.

Student
Valley1
Message 4 of 4 (5,952 Views)

Re: Why won't my speakers cut out when my headphones are plugged in? (Pavilion -6000 w/ Windows 7

Valley1 wrote:

(Windows 7 Home Premium) speakers should shut off when I plug in my headphones, but they do not. 

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation