Question

Top Student
AA48306
Message 1 of 10 (4,255 Views)

Windows 8.1 HDMI output no audio

I plug the HDMI from my laptop to TV and before update to 8.1 it worked fine.  Now I get video but no audio.  HDMI does not show up as an option when I click "manage audio devices" under "sound" in the control panel.  I found the device manager and under sound I see two things, the second of which (Intel Display Audio) has an error yellow triangle thing.  I got the following informaiton:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

I tried uninstalling the driver and restarted my computer, it reinstalled the driver.  But still same error.  I looked at the log of events and this thing was installed first on the day and time i did the upgrade. 

I don't even know if I'm on the right track, but that's all I could dig up. HELP!

I have an HP Envy touchscreen

Student
amq0
Message 2 of 10 (3,729 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1 HDMI output no audio

I have exactly the same problem as described.

No HDMI sound. And STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE in Device Manager.

I think is it somehow related to Windows 8.1.

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 3 of 10 (3,619 Views)

Hi AA48306 & amq0.  Hopefully there are updated drivers available. Let me know what your notebook model number is.

<How Do I Find My Desktop Model Number>: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07555

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Student
wasup
Message 4 of 10 (3,600 Views)

same exact problem. im pretty sure that it is related to the windows 8.1 update and either the driver failed and got double installed or the driver was a bad install (which is very likely). i would recommend waiting for a while.

btw i have a HP ENVY Touchsmart 15 j053cl

thanks in advance for helping!

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 5 of 10 (3,563 Views)

Hi wasup. There are Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit) drivers for your HP ENVY TouchSmart 15 J053CL

Here are the audio drivers.

IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-124012-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Here are the rest of the available drivers for 8.1.
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j053cl Notebook PC Drivers - Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit):
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4158&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5390...

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Tutor
KlemenOslaj
Message 6 of 10 (3,391 Views)

Hi, I have the exact same problem. I upgrade to windows 8.1 today, because I wait so long for AMD drivers. But now I realized, that sound is not working on my TV, connected with HDMI. I realy need this.

I there any kind of fix or something?

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 7 of 10 (3,382 Views)

KlemenOslaj what is the model number of your notebook?

<How Do I Find My Notebook Model Number>: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00033108

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Tutor
KlemenOslaj
Message 8 of 10 (3,373 Views)

Oh sorry i forgot to mention it...it's Probook 4740s

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 9 of 10 (3,366 Views)

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial product. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/ .

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Tutor
KlemenOslaj
Message 10 of 10 (3,358 Views)

Ok, this is weird now...I uninstall audio driver from my laptop and install back default windows drivers using update in device manager, and now everything works. Probably something wrong with driver?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation