Question

Top Student
Smutton1874
Message 1 of 11 (6,709 Views)

Won't unmute / annoying clicking sound when adjusting volume

Hi, I'm using an HP Pavillion dv5 Notebook PC.

After muting then unmuting in Windows Vista (or using the touch button) I will have no sound.  It returns when I restart or sometimes after a random amount of time.  I've had this problem since purchasing the computer.

Another extremely annoying issue is that when using the touch volume slider there will be a clicking sound to go with the onscreen graphic of the volume changing.  The clicking lags and sometimes goes on for several seconds after I've stopped touching the slider (sometimes 30seconds+ if I use the slider a lot).

If anyone has a solution or suggestion for either of these issues it would be muchly appreciated, thanks.

Teacher
MikeOB
Message 2 of 11 (6,740 Views)

Re: Won't unmute / annoying clicking sound when adjusting volume

Hi Smutton1874,

Are you using the factory OS or your own copy of windows ?

Could i get the following details off you aswell if possible?

1. Serial Number (SN#)
2. Product Number (PN#)

Once i have your poduct number i can check a few things for your specific product.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks,
Michael

I am a HP Employee! Woot!
Top Student
Smutton1874
Message 3 of 11 (6,729 Views)

Hi Mike,

I'm using the factory installed OS

SN#/PN#

Top Student
Smutton1874
Message 4 of 11 (6,679 Views)

Anything?  Anyone?
PhD Student
Gangles
Message 5 of 11 (6,657 Views)

Hey Smutton1894,

Can you please type out your S/N, P/N numbers that are on the photo? I am at work and our security blocks 3rd party photo storing websites. I just see an X. With this information I will be able to assist you :smileyhappy:

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Intern
Wademan
Message 6 of 11 (6,649 Views)

I have seen this problem before. It has to do with the Quick Launch Buttons software. I have had to go to HP Drivers and software and download the soft touch button software. Download the one that addresses the soft touch volume control. This should fix your problem.
My posts are my humble opinions based upon 30 years experience in the technical industry.
If my opinion has helped, please respond with a KUDOS. If not then please rephrase the question, my opinion might change (smiles). When hearing hoof beats in the distance, first think Horses, not Zebras.
Top Student
Smutton1874
Message 7 of 11 (6,622 Views)

I've tried to install the latest HP Quick Launch Buttons software and the WinFlash for HP Notebook Multimedia Button Board Firmware (ROM) but it doesn't seem to change anything.  If this is different from the "soft button" software you're talking about, let me know.

S/N# CN9070GY4

P/N# NB107UA#ABC

Thanks for your help.

Intern
Wademan
Message 8 of 11 (6,601 Views)

I am so sorry, I meant to say "Quick Touch Software" download and install this software and it should fix the problem. I'm sorry for the mistake.
My posts are my humble opinions based upon 30 years experience in the technical industry.
If my opinion has helped, please respond with a KUDOS. If not then please rephrase the question, my opinion might change (smiles). When hearing hoof beats in the distance, first think Horses, not Zebras.
Honor Student
JOEYBLOG
Message 9 of 11 (6,578 Views)

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-1003ea Entertainment Notebook but had the same problem which HP were unable to resolve for me. I solved it by replacing one of the infuriating sounds with a short period of silence. If you look in C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP QuickTouch you may find 3 WAV files and a program SelectiveSound.exe which if you run it will enable you to switch between the 3 WAV files.

I recorded a brief period of silence using a recording program called Polderbits but you could use any similar program. I renamed one of the 3 WAV files (in case I ever needed to revert) and saved my silent file with the original name of the WAV file in the HP Quick Touch directory. Incidentally simply deleting or renaming one of the WAV files didn't work. The system seems to remember the sound it last used. You actually need to replace the sound with a period of silence. Windows had a built in recorder in XP (C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32.exe)which produced WAV files. The similar program in Vista can be found in Start\All Programs\Accessories\Sound Recorder but alas for some reason known only to the Nerds at Microsoft this will only produce WAV files if you have Vista Home Basic. If you have the Premium version it will only produce WMA files which don't work in HPs QuickTouch.

I don't know who takes the prize for the most infuriating here. The idiot at HP who thinks its a good idea for a volume control to click at you everytime you use it or the idiot at Microsoft who decided what type of sound clip can be produced with your version of Vista. Good luck

Top Student
Smutton1874
Message 10 of 11 (6,348 Views)

This sounds like a really promising partial solution. I've found the .wav and I can make a silent wav file, but I don't seem to have this selectivesound.exe in the Quick Touch directory, possibley because I just updated the Quick Touch drivers while trying to solve this problem.  Is there somewhere I can download this?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation