Question

Honor Student
milo
Message 1 of 8 (11,853 Views)

dv4 built in speaker has no sound

I cant hear from the built-in speakers of my laptop (Pavilion dv4) the button of MUTE is always red no matter the sound is mute or not. I can hear from headset. My computer is only 5 days old.:smileysad:
Intern
quickinferno
Message 2 of 8 (11,907 Views)

Re: dv4 built in speaker has no sound

If you purchased it from a shop, take it back and exchange it. If you purchased it directly from HP, give them a call, may be they'll call it a DOA.
Teacher
JAZZER
Message 3 of 8 (11,817 Views)

try to get into the recovery manger or try to get online and update the sound driver and do a bios update and still the same then go to bios by hitting F10 at the startup and then once ur in the blue screen hit any keys and check whether ur able to hear any beeping noise or not.if ur then problem can be with the OS then reinstalling the OS by hitting F11 on the startup and if ur not able to hear the sound in the bios then get ur laptop repalced ..!!!
Honor Student
rifetown
Message 4 of 8 (11,261 Views)

This is my conversation with HP support this worked for me hope it works for anyone who reads it.

Alan: Mute button orange, no sound pressing quickplay button doesn't work new drivers installed. nothing changed.
[An agent will be with you shortly.]
[You are now chatting with Halie .]
Halie : Hello Alan.
Alan: Hi Halie
Halie : Welcome to HP Total Care for Notebooks. I look forward to assist you.
Halie : I understand that you are unable to use the Quick launch button the notebook, am I right?
Alan: yes and no
Halie : Thank you for confirming the same.
Alan: the button still shows it to activate and deactivate the mute on the task tray but no sound
Halie : May I know from where did you installed drivers?

Alan: hp
Alan: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3795411
Halie : Are you able to hear sound from the internal speaker of the notebook?
Alan: I get no sound.
Halie : When did the issue first occur?
Alan: While the idt driver was installing it removed the old driver and the light went back to white and sound was working
Alan: Today was the first I noticed it
Halie : Did this issue start after installing any specifc software or hardware?
Alan: No
Halie : Okay.
Halie : Are you able to hear any sound after install the audio drivers?
Alan Rife : No
Halie : Alright.
Halie : Please open control panel then programs and features
Alan: ok
Halie : Please scroll down uninstall the Quick launch button software.
Halie : Please let me know if prompt ask to restart the notebook.
Alan: ok
Halie : Once you uninstall then download and install the drivers from the following weblink:
Halie : ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp38501-39000/sp38688.exe
Halie : May I know the current BIOS version installed on the notebook?
Halie : Here are the steps to check the BIOS version:
Halie : Click on start--> search bar type msinfo32 and hit enter.
Halie : In the right hand side pane in system information window youo will see the BIOS version.
Alan: I just installed f.35
Halie : I appreciate your efforts.
Alan: it does want me to restart
Halie : Please restart the notebook and install the drivers from the above weblink, however, if the issue persists please perform full system recovery to isolate the issue.
Alan : ok
Halie : Here are the steps to perfomr full recovery:
Halie : 1. Restart the notebook.
2. Tap the F11 key as soon as the HP logo appears.
3. On the PC recovery window Select "Ok".
4. On the next screen read the system recovery information and Select "Next" .

And proceed with on screen instructions.
Your notebook is shipped with recovery partition, you have an option to perform recovery with out disks.
Please ignore if prompt ask for system restore and select system recovery.

Halie : Please take the backup of the data before performinr the recovery.
Alan : ok thanks
Halie : My pleasure.

Honor Student
NinanTX
Message 5 of 8 (11,012 Views)

I feel your pain.  My computer hasn't had sound really since I got it.  I had a Sony before and never had one problem.  Unfortunately, I have had nothing but problems with this one.  I'll never buy HP again.  I even sent an e-mail to HP, and no one ever wrote back.  Sony always contacted me, if I needed them, which happened maybe once.  This is the most frustrating laptop I have ever seen.  I really should see if Best Buy will exchange it for me.  I did buy the extended warranty from them, but I'm so frustrated I don't even want this thing.  I don't know if it's a lemon or what.  I do know I have seen lots of people who have no sound.  It's stupid.  I'll do what it says to fix it, and it will work for a little while.  Then, something happens and I have no sound again.

Good luck!

Student
citizenjane
Message 6 of 8 (9,968 Views)

I had this same problem and thought I was going to have to return the laptop to the store.  Before I did so, I did a chat with tech support at HP.  It took forever, but the problem was resolved.  It was not a problem with the button itself.  (All other buttons would toggle except mute.)  It was a problem with a sound driver.

I spent about 45 minutes online with a tech support person.  I opened Device Manager.   Start--->RUN--->type devmgmt.msc into the box.  Expand Sound Video and Game Controllers.  Right click on IDT High Definition Audio and select Update drivers software.  I clicked on Search Automatically for updated driver software.  Follow the prompts.

If this does not work, there are some other diagnostic-type things to try.  It might be best to do it with a tech support Chat.

Good Luck.

Student
katjandu
Message 7 of 8 (2,067 Views)

This worked for me. Go to hp.com.

Click on Support and Drivers, on that page

Click on Drivers & Software, then enter your product and number in the blank.

Scroll down to Step 1: Select your operating system, select and then

Click Next

Scroll down to Step 2: Driver - Audio 1

Click the +

Click on Download

Click on Run at the bottom of the screen, then follow the directons as indicated.

Master's Graduate
Winos
Message 8 of 8 (2,042 Views)

Let's do it at a proper way. 

I need you to do the folowing:

Assuming you have windows 7 go to start > Right click on computer > Click on manage > Click on device manager > Go to Sound, video and game controllers > Click on your audio device  > Click on details > Go to hardware ID's >
Copy the first hardware id and paste it in your next post.

Winos.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The doors of wisdom are never shut. Benjamin Franklin
&
We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right. Nelson Mandela

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation