Question

Honor Student
shelleya345
Message 1 of 13 (20,442 Views)

headphone jacks do not work on pavilion dv6

Just Bought Pavilion dv6 and headphone jacks do not work.  USB jack works.  Someone said I may be missing a driver?  Setting look good.  Took it into Future Shop and they don't even have another unit to replace it with.

Any suggestions?

Intern
genovdan
Message 2 of 13 (20,441 Views)

Re: headphone jacks do not work on pavilion dv6

Did you try to install/reinstall the audio driver after all ? I had recently similar kind of problem. I reinstalled my hp pavilion dv6 with windows vista but I forgot to install the audio driver. I had sound because some default sound driver was installed and I did not notice the missing driver since I plugged my headphones. When plugged I heard only the sound from laptop built-in speakers but not those from the headphones. Then I installed the sound driver for my model laptop and solved the problem.

If you do not know where to download the driver, please give me just the model of your HP pavilion.

Student
john1234
Message 3 of 13 (20,289 Views)

hi genovdan, i have the same problem as you where my laptop has sound coming from the built-in speakers, but when i plug in my headphones there is no sound.

i have no idea where i can download the driver from, so can you help me please?

the model number of my laptop is (dv6832TX)

thanks

Intern
genovdan
Message 4 of 13 (20,218 Views)

Hi john1234 and really sorry that I reply so late but I had not opportunity to visit the site recently. If you still have not solved your problem, you can download the necessary audio driver from here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3710427&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

You just need to select your Operating system and the audio driver from the given list.

Honor Student
Bamadeck
Message 5 of 13 (20,094 Views)

I had this problem on my dv6700, it took forever for me to figure it out.    For my laptop, the issue was the sound kept coming from the speakers even after I plugged in headphones.   Resolution was to configure my sound devices:

1. Stop any audio/media playback you have open or are playing. 
  2. Plugin your headphones.
  3. Right click sound icon in system tray and choose "playback devices"
  4. OR go to Control pannel and open Sound settings and then click "manage audio devices"
  5. On the Playback tab, you'll see multiple devices.    
  6. Click on each device and then click the properties button. 
  7. Look at the "Jack Information" area.
  8. The ATAPI Internal ATAPI jack is your laptop speakers.  Rename the title to "Laptop Speakers" and if the icon shows anything but a speaker, click the "change icon" button and select the speakers.  
  9. Close and then right click and select TEST from the list.  
  10.  You should hear sound from the speakers.
  11.  The Rear Panel 3mm Jack is your headphones (in my case, these jacks are on the FRONT of my laptop, where the headphone icon is - not on the back as the name would make you think).  
  12.   Change the title to "Headphones" and change the icon to headphones if need be.   
  13.   Then click the SET AS DEFAULT button! 
  14.   Close and then right click and select TEST from the list.
  15.   You should hear sound from the headphones.
  16.   Close

Testing with audio.

1. Now go ahead and go to YouTube and try playing a video with your headphones on.   Should work.  Pause sound.
  2. Unplug your headphones and hit play again, the speakers should now play the sound.
  3. Plug the headphones back in - again, sound should come through headphones!

Good luck :smileyhappy:

Student
Potamus420
Message 6 of 13 (18,966 Views)

My 6135tx had similar issues, rolled back the driver to version 6.10.6329.0 dated 11/03/2011 and all seems to be working fine.

Honor Student
alihassan31_200
Message 7 of 13 (14,248 Views)

I have a HP Pavilion Laptop- intel Centrino, there's no sound coming out from the headphone when i put it in, but comes out from the speaker. So there's sound from the speaker but not on the headphones even if its plugged in. Please help!!!!

Honor Student
Rizzano
Message 8 of 13 (14,242 Views)

I recently bought an HP Pavillion dv6-6c35dx laptop. It has 2 headphone jacks. I have used the laptop for a few weeks now and watched numerous movies, youtube videos, played numerous games with headphones plugged in and had zero sound issues. Then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, they jacks stopped working properly.

When I plug in ANY headphones all the way in either jack, I can hear background noises such as music or explosions, but when people are talking, there is no audio for that. If I pull the headphones out just a little, but not all the way, I can hear everything, but the plug doesn't stay positioned like that unless I manually hold it there. This happens with either jack, and I have tried 3 different pairs of headphones. This happens on youtube, in Windows Media Player, in games with talking in them like I Am Alive, and all the situations are the same.

Things I have tried:

- Making sure the proper audio device is set as default.
- Updating the sound driver via the HP website.
- Rolling back the driver.
- Uninstalling the driver, reinstalling, restarting the laptop.

I have Windows 7 64-Bit

There are no conflicts in device manager, I don't know what else to try.

Student
LouisDawg
Message 9 of 13 (13,574 Views)

Hi I just want to say that this worked for me, it was choosing the speakers in manage devices and choosing set as default. My speakers were not working when fully plugged in, only the laptop(dv6) speakers were dampened. I could get them to work along with the laptop when half plugged in however, with a buzz. It's weird it seemes like a hardware problem like the jack is messed up (same issue with my earphones), but nope, just one of those weird things computers randomly do.

Student
drneal45
Message 10 of 13 (13,394 Views)

This is what worked for me.  Now my regular speakers work, but when I plug in my headphones, they work and my regular speakers mute.  I went to control panel then sound, and then when you see the icon for you headphones right click them and make them your default speakers, this means, when you plug into them as you are recording on cubase or something else, you will hear what has been recorded, but if you are laying another trac you will only hear what is going in and be able to keep beat with what is coming into your earphones.  Also just for regular earphone listening to WMP etc.  Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation