Question

Student
lizarebk
Message 1 of 21 (34,851 Views)
Accepted Solution

headphones issue

Hi everyone,

I have a Laptop HP EliteBook 6930p with Win XP. My problem is that

The built-in speakers work fine but when I plug in the headphones it doesn't play on the
headphones but the speakers still play. It's like my headphone jack doesn't
pick up my headphones and I have tryed  different headphones. Any help?

Thanks in advance!

Teacher
JMyrc
Message 2 of 21 (34,837 Views)

Re: headphones issue

On the bottom left of the screen, by the clock, you should see a little megaphone icon.  This represents your audio controls.  Right-click on the megaphone, and then click on Playback Devices.  If your headphones are being detected, they should show in here as something like "Independent Headphones".

If the headphones show up, simply change your playback device to the headphones rather than the speakers, and your problem should be resolved.

If, however, there do not appear to be any options available, you might have a bad audio jack.  Attempt a BIOS update by going to your HP Drivers and Software page, and then try to use the headphones again.

Though I am an HP employee, I am not here as a representative for them. I am here of my own accord to help those requesting it.

Please demonstrate any appreciation for help with a kudos!
Top Student
jar3300
Message 3 of 21 (34,794 Views)

I'm working on a friends Compaq Presario CQ60 416WM. It has a similar issue. She hadn't gotten it back from computer store after having a virus. They reinstaled Vista. The speakers work, but when you plug in the headphones, they don't work nor mute the speakers. Properties for the headphones show them working.  If I disable the speakers and reboot, the headphones work. If I unplug the headphones with music playing, the music stops and windows says there is no device.

I uninstalled the speakers, rebooted and Vista reinstalled the drivers to no avail. I tried the Update and it found no newer driver. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Student
th3fro6
Message 4 of 21 (34,403 Views)

System is HP EliteBook 8440p with i5/4GB Ram/Windows 7-64.

Updated BIOS as you suggested. Still cannot recognize headphone as Independent Headphone.

Headphone is verified and not a problem,

Any other thought?

Top Student
jjo5656
Message 5 of 21 (33,268 Views)

I am having the same exact issues. I did exactly what it said and made the "independent headphones" the default device and then disabled the speakers. It worked, but I would hope this is not the only way to use my headphone jack. It's very annoying. Is there another way this can be resolved?

Honor Student
shableep
Message 6 of 21 (32,149 Views)

I was just having this issue. I made sure I had the latest drivers and everything. But try this:

Plug in your headphones, and while leaving your headphones plugged in, re-install your sound drivers.

My laptop now properly switches from my speakers to my headphones when I plug them in.

Hope this helps.

Student
khuramtoor
Message 7 of 21 (27,359 Views)

I had faced similar many times and had to run to computer guy but shame on IT guys like me soing this. I had again encounter the problem just 20 min ago that i would put my headphones into jacks but mic and speaker in healdphone wound work but laptop speaker runs unafacted.

Solution:

1. Right Click Speaker icon lower bottom right and  select "Playback Devices"

2. You will see speakers and headphone, Click Speakers icon, in case headphones not working; go to properties. 

3. go to Enhancements> Click restore default

4. go to Advance and uncheck "Allow applications to take executive control of this device"

If you still wore on headphones you will hear tham.

This solve my  problem, If in case problem with external speakers exists (which i think shoud not) repeat from step 2 for speakers this time not headphones. 

I hope this works for you, the basic problem is that when we install multiple audio/video players they compete for taking control (as clear from step 4) of audio hardware. So, do not allow tham :smileyhappy:

Regards

Khuram Toor

Writerall Solutions 

Student
MJCulver
Message 8 of 21 (19,620 Views)

I have a Hewlett Packard ProBook 6450b and I cannot get the headphones to work.  I see others have had this issue, but the solutions they were given did not work for me.  One guy said to reinstall sound drivers, but I don't know how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.  

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 9 of 21 (19,589 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello MJCulver.  I understand you're curious how to reinstall your sound card drivers.

My instructions assume you're using Windows 7.  Let me know if you're using a different version of Windows.

1. Click Start, type "Device Manager," and press Enter.
  2. Expand the "Sound, video, and game controllers" section.
  3. Right click on your sound card and select "Uninstall."
  4. Then reboot your notebook.
  5. Once Windows loads it will automatically reinstall the driver.  
  6. Verify whether the problem was resolved.

Let me know how it goes.  Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Student
booberries
Message 10 of 21 (18,695 Views)

i did all this now I dont have any sound from either speakers or head phones. I get computer sounds but no music at all. Help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation