Question

Top Student
qandeel
Message 1 of 5 (1,165 Views)

hp envy M7-j020dx no bass through beats audio

I am writing this post for HP as it seems when you use beats audio there is no effect of bass and sound fluctuates as well. But when you use windows audio driver the sound comes fine through headphones. the only problem when u do so is you cant get good sound through speakers of the laptop and also you wouldn't be able to use sound through hdmi, as the sound will come through speakers or headphone jack. so since the windows audio driver works fine and produces excellent sound, so i know it is not the hardware on the computer it will be the software related to HP which needs to fix this issue I would appreciate if that could be fixed as soon as possible, or if anyone can let me knowif there is a workaround it.

Honor Student
Stevie_h
Message 2 of 5 (1,058 Views)

Re: hp envy M7-j020dx no bass through beats audio

This thread proved kind of useful for me.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/beats-audio-bugs-can-t-disable-bass-treble-...

After reading that I tried disabling just the HP Tone part of the IDT driver. This apparently "provides support for Beats Bass Boost switching for HP ENVY Products". 

It seems to have partly solved the issue for me. I don't lose bass or get distortion anymore. Although it does seem to have made my laptop speakers weaker, which is still annoying. But works fine if plugging external speakers into the headphone jack.

It's quite simple to do, you just copy the below into notepad and save it as a ".reg" file. You will probably need to put double question marks around the filename to stop it from saving as a .txt

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IDT\Apo\GFX\LineOut\plugins\HPTone]
"Load"=dword:00000000

Then click the file after it has saved. It will ask you to confirm changing the registry. Then reboot and it should take affect.

If you ever want to turn it back on, just do the same but change the last 0 to a 1.

The other way you can do this is through regedit and find it through the tree, if you prefer doing it that way. Sorry I know many of you probably know this.

Obviously you change the registry at your own risk. But, this is just a small change and the way I ended up seeing it is that you are disabling something that seems faulty.

HP please let us know if you are aware of this problem and when it might be fixed, to get the driver working properly!?

The driver I'm current using is 6.10.6433.0, which the HP support assistant tells me is up-to-date. Doesn't seem like HP have made a new one since this Nov 12 issue. Could be wrong?

Top Student
qandeel
Message 3 of 5 (1,034 Views)

that is a useful post. but i did it little differently by just going to device manager and under audio selected to update the driver and then selected the option to browse my self and selected the windows audio driver instead of HP and by that the sound is perfect through headphones but not through laptop speakers. It is shame my previous computer which was also HP and 3 years old had a better sound then this new one. I hope HP resolves this issue as soon as possible.

Honor Student
Stevie_h
Message 4 of 5 (1,015 Views)

can you still you the beats audio control panel to EQ that way thouh?

Top Student
qandeel
Message 5 of 5 (1,006 Views)

No it removes the beat equalizer completely, it just uses the Windows portion of audio driver and will remove hp and beats audio setting
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation