Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have  a headset I'd like to plug in, it has a better microphone but I don't see a jack for microphones, just for headsets. Is there a jack or how can I use my external microfphone

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

You do not have this option as mentioned in its manual (page #17 for the jack on the left hand side - ie headphones jack):

Produces sound when connected to optional powered stereo speakers, headphones, earbuds, a headset, or television audio. Also connects an optional headset microphone.

NOTE: This jack does not support optional microphoneonly devices.

You can find more info from the following manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03328663.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Ah - I have just run into this problem with a HP Pavilion m6. I have been trying to digitally record some precious archival material from tape cassettes over forty years old, and I thought to use a cassette deck as an external microphone, and connect the RCA jacks on the deck to a mini 3½mm phono jack  plugged  into the HP.

It won't work!! Bother!

In the first place, the mini jack has to have four poles, not the usual three.

One way around this to use an external microphone is to acquire an external sound card with the usual mini ports to plug into one of the USB ports in the HP. Such an external sound card is easily got, and they are inexpensive. However, whether or not one can get a good quality external sound card is another matter.

One other solution seems to partially work: I acquired from a television shop an interconnector with a 4-pole 3½  mini jack at one end and RCA plugs at the other, including a video plug. Using the one video plug in one of the cassette deck stereo plugs works, but converts the stereo of the cassette to mono when recorded by the HP m6.

HP Recommended
can i use a headset with mic with the jack?
HP Recommended

Hello kish02,

You are looking for the specs on your laptop.

The jack is usually designed for mic / headphones.

Please post your product and model number.

You can find this information by holding the FN key and pressing the ESC key.

I should be able to find your manual and tell you for sure.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Name-hp pavillion sleekbook 15

HP Recommended

kish02,

HP makes many different models of the sleek book.

Here is a link that will show you how to find the product and the model number.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Today I have bought HP 15-E015TX,

When I came home I was shocked by not finding the jack for mic.They gave a free head set but I dont have port to connect the Mic port.But I am able to chat normally.came to know that the mic is just beside the camera?

is it true?is this good or bad not havig a MIC jack?

HP Recommended

I have a HP pavilion 15 notebook. is there a way of putting a microphone jack onto it as i have no money left to take the soundcard route, i brought the laptop with intent of recording music onto it but if i cant do that then it is £500 wasted because i assumed it would have something that all computers have, but obviously it doesnt.

Sorry, please ignore. posted in the wrong place

HP Recommended

The port does not support regular mics only it needs headsets of course but i would buy a desktop if u want it easier or u could try a usb mic or a audio usb jack that supports mics 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.