Question

Student
19charlie98
Message 1 of 2 (16,169 Views)

my earphones won't work. all sound is played through the speakers!

whenever i play itunes or a youtube thing, it comes out of the speakers, even if my earphones are connected through the earphone jack.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 2 (16,163 Views)

Re: my earphones won't work. all sound is played through the speakers!

Hi,

The issue could be a number of things, anything from a bad jack, bad headphones, to a missed setting...

Take a look at the document below.  It will show you how to get to the sound setting and explain some things that might be wrong.

There are links in the document to other Operating Systems help if you are not using Windows 7...

Note the part about the automatic switching.  Sometimes the "automatic" part doesn't happen and you have to manually tell the headphones to kick in (start working when you plug them in).

From the help document:

Windows should switch automatically from Speakers and Headphones to another external device, like HDMI, when the cables are connected to the computer. If this switch does not occur within a few seconds automatically, manually select the desired output device from the sound device Playback window shown above.

Troubleshooting Audio Problems with External Speakers, Headphones, and HDMI Sound Devices

Good Luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you see a great Post and you appreciate the help…

Please Click the Kudos Star on the Left to say "Thank You"!

Fixed? Click this Post “Accept as Solution” so others can find it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember:  The more information you provide, the better help you can receive.

Always Include:  (Notebook) Product Number , Printers – Model Number ,

Operating System and an Error Description

Never give out your Serial Number

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation