Question

Honor Student
gutchy1
Message 1 of 6 (12,205 Views)
Accepted Solution

no sound on hdmi output after windows 7????

please help!!!

I have a compaq presario cq71-230sa and i'm trying to play video through the hdmi to my samsung tv. before i upgraded to windows 7 (from vista) it worked fine. however now it only plays the picture but sound still comes from my laptop!!!!, in sound devices there is no longer an option for hdmi sound, but in device manager it says i have intel (r) high definition audio hdmi driver. i have tried disabling devices,show disabled devices, re-installing drivers and everything says its up to date and working???? i havent found any other help anywhere ! this is driving me insane as it used to work fine???? if any further details are req please let me know. please help

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 6 (12,203 Views)

Re: no sound on hdmi output after windows 7????

Hi,

Please note: sound thru HDMI port is from the video card, not sound card therefore updating sound driver does not help. You need to update video driver under Windows 7, have you done that ? Please reinstall video driver(s) from this place:

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=397...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
gutchy1
Message 3 of 6 (12,195 Views)

yes i have also done this?

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 6 (12,188 Views)

Hi,

This is from a friend's email:

Make the Connection:

1. Connect the HDMI cable to the computer and TV. If the TV has a "DVI/HDMI" port do not use it. Use a port for HDMI only.

2. Turn on the TV and select the HDMI port you are using. Adjust the TV settings to receive HDMI audio if any.

3. Turn on the computer. (Optional, some people close the laptop lid immediately after hitting the power button but I am not sure why. Most people should not need to do this.)

4. Optional. Some models do better if the TV is set to be the primary display. To set, repeatedly press Fn+F8 (or ctrl+alt+F4) to cycle through the settings (laptop display only/laptop display plus external display/external display only). Reboot the laptop.

5. Go to Start>Control Panel>Sound>Playback tab. Make "HDMI" the default device. (If "HDMI" is not there, right click in the white area and look under "Show Disconnected Devices" or "Show Disabled Devices" and see if it is there.)

Post Connection Problems:

1. If there is still no option to select "HDMI' as the default audio playback device, try re-installing or updating the graphics driver, or even try an older version. The graphics driver is the driver for HDMI audio, not the regular audio driver  A few people with Intel graphics had better results by uninstalling the graphics driver, rebooting, and letting Windows look for a driver (instead of downloading the driver from the Dell

support site).

2. Try disconnecting and then reconnecting the HDMI cable.

3. If you are using Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center but get no HDMI audio even after it is selected as the default playback device, go to

Control Panel>Sound>Playback tab>Audio/Playback device>HDMI>properties>Advance>Exclusive Mode and uncheck "exclusive mode".

4. Try a different HDMI cable.

5. Try a different HDMI port on the TV.

Good luck.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
gutchy1
Message 5 of 6 (12,148 Views)

Thanks for your help, uninstalled the video driver and installed the older version from the hp website.....and it worked ! However, just wondering will this mean that the graphics will be affected ??
Provost
banhien
Message 6 of 6 (12,107 Views)

Hi,

From my view, HDMI on video card is not mature enough therefore still a lot of "problems" here and there. I believe one day, they should be just a direct plug, like in our home systems. True Plug-n-Play, not Plug-n-Pray for many users now.

Regards.

BH
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation