Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15-n019wm
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Since Fri, I have not had any sound on my laptop, not from the internal speakers or the headphone jack and the led on the mute key is not working but if I hit the mute key, the little symbol appears on the speaker icon and it disappears if I hit it again. I have ran tests, and the bars light up as if sound is coming out but there is no sound at all.  I have uninstalled both the AMD and Realtek devices, reinstalled them with updated drivers, reset my laptop, replaced the keyboard, and changed the setting in the bios so that the "FN" key has to be used for the functions of the F1-F12 keys.  I had updated to Windows 10 well over a month ago and everything had been working fine.  When the sound did not come back on after the reset, I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7(64 bit) and still no sound.  The led lights up for the wifi, the power button, and everything else is operational except for the sound.  I am about to try an update to Windows 10 again but at this point I am not very hopeful.  Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks!!!

PS.  It's the Pavillion 15-n019wm with Windows 7(64 bit). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @callykat20,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I read your post about the sound issue, and wanted to assist you!

You can try reviewing the following document, just to see if there was anything you missed:

HP Notebook PCs - No Sound from the Speakers (Windows 7)

However, if you formatted the Hard Drive, and is still having the issue.  Then it seems like the drivers are not the cause.  You may consider contacting HP Phone Support for additional options.  Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please let me know if this information was helpful by clicking the thumbs up below.  If this post resolved your issue, then please click on Accept as Solution.

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @callykat20,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I read your post about the sound issue, and wanted to assist you!

You can try reviewing the following document, just to see if there was anything you missed:

HP Notebook PCs - No Sound from the Speakers (Windows 7)

However, if you formatted the Hard Drive, and is still having the issue.  Then it seems like the drivers are not the cause.  You may consider contacting HP Phone Support for additional options.  Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please let me know if this information was helpful by clicking the thumbs up below.  If this post resolved your issue, then please click on Accept as Solution.

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

None of this helped. So I am going to purchase speakers to see if that works. With all the issues I have had with this laptop, I'll never buy HP again. It seems like whenever an update comes it, the laptop always crashes. I've already had to replace the hard drive, twice. Now I have to replace the speakers. It is very frustrating to constantly have to reformat and reinstall the OS several times a month because the updates crash the computer. I also own a Toshiba and I have never had to replace anything other than the bottom case and the ac adapter.  I have owned the HP for 2 years, and the Toshiba for 4. Next laptop purchase will be another Toshiba!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.