Question

Student
Austingalsl
Message 1 of 4 (3,763 Views)
Accepted Solution

sound has suddenly stopped on my hp laptop. how can i fix this?

I have the hp Pavillion dv6 running Windows 7.   The sound stopped after I loaned the laptop to a woman from church whose house was struck by lightening, until she could buy another computer.   My computer was not in her house when it was struck by lightening, and I don't want to tell her about the problem, because she has enough on her hands right now.

I have tried to adjust the sound myself, and have used the sound diagnostic tools, but every tool says that it can't find any problem.  But there is no sound.   Can you help me?

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 4 (3,754 Views)

Re: sound has suddenly stopped on my hp laptop. how can i fix this?

Try / consider:

• Do a Hard Reset on the Notebook to disconnect and then Reconnect everything in a controlled manner.  This works for a variety of ills, including sudden loss of sound, fingerprinters that stop working, and programs that act up.
  • Reinstall the Audio Driver from within the Device Manager - simply uninstall the Audio driver and let the system reinstall the driver when it reboots
  • Before you do that, go to your HP Website and download the Audio driver from there in case you end up needing to install the Audio driver from scratch.

===================================================================

The Hard Reset:

This method works for a variety of Driver connection and ‘stuck’ program issues.

• Shut down the computer
  • Disconnect all external devices - everything.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 30 seconds
  • Reinstall the AC power cord for first startup ** See Note
  • Power on - Log in
  • Next time you shut down the system, reinstall battery.

** Note:  If time is short, reinstall battery the first time and be done with it.

Reference:

Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues

Install Audio Driver

Go to the top of the HP forum page to Support and Drivers

• If prompted, Enter your Country or Region and
  • Enter your Computer Model information,
  • Go to Software and Drivers...
  • Enter your Operating System in the Drop-down menu...  Scroll down
  • Look for category Driver - Audio
  • Select the appropriateIDT High Definition (HD) Audio Driver – wording may vary
  • Save the appropriate *.exe installation package on your computer

NOTE the name and the location - the *.exe file will likely save to "Downloads “

Hold off on this...

• Install the Software / Driver installation package:  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package(s) and “double-click” to install, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

NOTE:  There is sometimes a lot of information at the computer’s website.  Be sure to take an extended look at what’s available.

• Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager >
  • Sound, video, and game controllers >
  • Right-Click IDT Hight Definition Audio CODEC (wording may vary) > Uninstall

• Reboot completely
  • Let the driver reinstall
  • Check Sound...

No Sound from the Speakers (Notebooks Windows 7)

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 3 of 4 (3,752 Views)

Hi,

If I were you I would restore the system to the point before you loan this notebook because from this what you wrote I understand that everything worked fine before this person received it from you.

Resource:

How to Do a System Restore in Windows 7

How to Do a System Restore in Vista

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (3,749 Views)

Austingalsl,

Daniel has a good point, especially since you don't know what your friend did to your notebook.  Smiling.  It is all innocent, of course, but one just does not know what happened.

If you use the Restore Point, the system will not change any of your personal files or data, but it will be "set back in time" to a point where all the system files will be reset to that time and date that matches the Restore Point.  This could untangle the Sound issue on the spot.

If it does not do so, then you can continue with the other suggestions.

Daniel, I see you... Dragon_eye.jpg

:smileyhappy:

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation