Question

Tutor
6715bOwner
Message 1 of 5 (2,194 Views)
Accepted Solution

6715b bios flash

Am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  When Recovery is run to create a Disk Image, it fails claiming that there is not enough space on the external empty (1.5T) hard drive.  The drive is freshly formated.  I'd like to reflash my BIOS to the latest version, however there is no BIOS flash utility for win7.  How can the BIOS be flashed?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (2,187 Views)

Re: 6715b bios flash

Hi:

Unfortunately you can't update the BIOS to the latest version with W7.

The HPQ flash was only written for Vista and XP. Flashing the BIOS when running windows 7 brings the liklihood of bricking your notebook.

If you have an older BIOS than F.0E, you can use the ROMPaq for HP Notebook System BIOS (68YTT) - FreeDOS Bootable Media file where you can use a bootable CD or flash drive to update the BIOS to that version.

If you want the latest BIOS version, then you will need to install Windows Vista or XP on your PC and flash the BIOS with either one of those operating systems.

If you have recovery disks, you can use those to reinstall Vista or XP and do that.

A lot of work, but better than bricking your notebook.

If you don't have recovery disks, you can order from HP by contacting the phone number for business PC's/notebooks for the country you live in at the link below.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-information/summary/ww-contact-us.html

You will need to provide the model # and serial number to order.

Cost ranges from free in the UK, $10 in the USA/Canada, to more than $10 elsewhere.

Paul

Tutor
6715bOwner
Message 3 of 5 (2,176 Views)

Actually the BIOS can be flashed from Win 7...its a project!

The HP utility allows for the creation of a bootable CD that can flash the BIOS, and it is this *.iso file that has to be extracted and burned to a CD, that we are after.

Right click on thedownloaded file containing the Remote BIOS flash utility, and run it in Windows XP SP 2 compatability mode.

This will generate a folder with several file folder in it, and one has the *.iso file in it. 

The generic Windows CD burner software that pops up automatically will fail, so close it.

Start any CD burner software that allows for the creation of a Data disc, or specifically, the burning of a disc image.

Copy the *.iso file to the CD burner software and burn the CD.

The set reboot, and hit the Boot options key.

Select, Boot from CD drive.

This should boot the BIOS flash utility which runs automatically.

This way the BIOS can be flashed without the use of Windows, as the BIOS flash utility is a DOS utility. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 5 (2,173 Views)

That is very good to know. 

Thanks for the detailed information!

Top Student
rrmcmillan
Message 5 of 5 (1,655 Views)

Where would I get this *.ISO to try this. I have a pavilion dv6-6119wm that is failing BIOS recovery with the UEFI. I put the UEFI tool on the thumb drive and it booted to the thumb drive but failed the BIOS Update before it every started. I am trying to figure out how to get this bring back to a functional computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation