Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have probook 4540s laptop, two day ago, i updated the BIOS. I dowloaded the BIOS from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5269095&... After that, i couldn't turn on my laptop. It just have had blank screen and Caplock light blink 3 time. Can you help me!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Have you tried one RAM module in each slot or was both slots used at the same time?

RAM issues can either be with the RAM itself or the RAM slots on the motherboard. 

In the event that the POST test is wrong, although rare, you could try restoring the BIOS using the steps in this document.

You will need the UEFI Support Environment download to create the recovery USB drive.  It can be found here.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

No one help me :((

HP Recommended

The following was taken from here.

Code descriptions

Use the following table to learn about the meaning of a code that your computer may encounter.
Code type Number of Blinks or Beeps Component Being Checked Condition Possible solution(s)
AC power adapter LEDConstantly onPower adapterOK. Power is being supplied.None. The power adapter is likely not the problem.
AC power adapter LEDConstantly offPower adapterPower is not being suppliedTry a different power outlet.

Replace power adapter.
AC power adapter LEDContinuous blinkingPower adapterInsufficient powerTry a different power outlet.

Replace power adapter.
Caps Lock/Num Lock1CPUCPU not functionalReseat replace CPU.

Service
Caps Lock/Num Lock2BIOSBIOS corruption failureRestore BIOS from onboard backup (jumpers)

Service
Caps Lock/Num Lock3MemoryMemory module error not functionalReseat memory modules (see next section).

Test memory from UEFI or BIOS.

Replace bad memory modules.

Service
Caps Lock/Num Lock4GraphicsGraphics controller not functionalService
Caps Lock/Num Lock5System boardGeneral system board failureService
Caps Lock/Num Lock6BIOSBIOS authentication failureRestore BIOS from onboard backup (jumpers)

Service
BeepVariesVariesVariesReseat memory modules (see next section).

Service

For more detail on the exact code, search the Internet for "beep code" and the manufacturer of your BIOS - such as AMI or Award.

The caps lock blinking three times indicates it is related to the RAM.

You can try disconnecting everything including the battery and the AC charger, holding the power button for one minute, and then turning it on.

If that does not help, then you can try removing each RAM module and trying with them one at a time. 

Page 60 of this guide details how to remove the RAM should you need it.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot!!

But i replaced a RAM from another laptop, and it's still not working. Ạnd when i put the RAM to laptop of my friend. It worked normally. I think it is not a RAM error.

HP Recommended

Have you tried one RAM module in each slot or was both slots used at the same time?

RAM issues can either be with the RAM itself or the RAM slots on the motherboard. 

In the event that the POST test is wrong, although rare, you could try restoring the BIOS using the steps in this document.

You will need the UEFI Support Environment download to create the recovery USB drive.  It can be found here.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
HP Recommended

If you're in the USA, you're going to need to contact a 3rd party BIOS repair facility like AQSTECH 

Probook / Elitebook BIOS recovery / repair is not easy.

HP Recommended

Thanks 

HP Recommended

You are most welcome.  I am glad it is up and running once again. 

Thanks for letting the community know what the solution was.  🙂

Signature
HP Recommended

sounds like they took the easy way out to me. There has to be a fix to this. My power button just blinks off and on when I plug in the charger, does nothing else.. To new to buy a new motherboard for that buy a new lap top..

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.