Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I had a bad bios flash and now the laptop isn't booting anymore, just turning on and keyboard light flashing twice. i've tried a few methods but noting happened.

what is the correct way to restore the bios from a usb

any help would be appreciated

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
managed to find the correct way to reflash my bios. 

I downloaded the UEFI Support Environment, I used version 5. there might be a newer version now

then downloaded the latest Bios version for my laptop, the .exe unzips to a SwSetup on the local drive. In that folder are 1 or more .FD files, these are the Bios files. There is also a file called platform.ini, in this file it has the names of what the laptop looks for. You'll find it under [Platform_Check] when you open the file with a text editor.

I ran the UEFI support environment and chose to install it on my 4GB usb, it was formatted to FAT32, default allocation size. The software should name it to HP_Tools and have a Hewlett-Packard folder inside it. I put the .FD file that I renamed to what was listed in the platform.ini file (3600 was the one that worked for this specfic laptop) in to the folders:

Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\current

and

Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\previous

Just to make sure I also made copies of those files in the same folder and changed their extensions to .bin and .rom. I also made copies of those 3 files to the root of the usb,just because got tired of copying and renaming files.

With this usb in my Laptop I held down the Windows key + B and powered it on (make sure the power cable is plugged in). It Beeped twice but you can stop holding the 2 buttons after the first beep.

After that the laptop should search the usb for the correct files and start reflashing the Bios, eventually the screen should show the progress and beep until it's finished and turn off. Once off you can turn it back on and if it was successful you will see a Bios screen, you might need to do a Cmos reset but the Bios would be restored.

I hope this helps anyone else who has the problem and not have to go though endless searching on the internet and many many failed attempts.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

First try a hard reset.

1. Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.

2. Press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.

3. Plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)

4. Press the power button.

If that does not help, unfortunately you you have reached a point where only a shop or service center capable of reprogramming and/or replacing the BIOS chip can help. You can contact HP phone support about repairs at 1-800-474-6836 if you are in the United States.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended
Thank You for your replay, unfortuanatly that didn't work.

While I was flashing the newest bios the laptop turned off in the middle of it, and yes the power cable was plugged in the whole time and was provided with power. Therefore I believe the bios needs to be reflashed, so far I have found that if I turn on the notebook with the windows key and B held down I get beeps and usb gets accessed too.

As I understand there is a crisis bios recovery I could do if that hasn't been destroyed. But what I need to know is which bios file I use from the notebook's download page, what do I name it and what size and filesystem does the usb have to be. I'm hopeing that will fix it and I wont need to get the bios replaced.

Thank You, much appreciate all the help.
HP Recommended
managed to find the correct way to reflash my bios. 

I downloaded the UEFI Support Environment, I used version 5. there might be a newer version now

then downloaded the latest Bios version for my laptop, the .exe unzips to a SwSetup on the local drive. In that folder are 1 or more .FD files, these are the Bios files. There is also a file called platform.ini, in this file it has the names of what the laptop looks for. You'll find it under [Platform_Check] when you open the file with a text editor.

I ran the UEFI support environment and chose to install it on my 4GB usb, it was formatted to FAT32, default allocation size. The software should name it to HP_Tools and have a Hewlett-Packard folder inside it. I put the .FD file that I renamed to what was listed in the platform.ini file (3600 was the one that worked for this specfic laptop) in to the folders:

Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\current

and

Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\previous

Just to make sure I also made copies of those files in the same folder and changed their extensions to .bin and .rom. I also made copies of those 3 files to the root of the usb,just because got tired of copying and renaming files.

With this usb in my Laptop I held down the Windows key + B and powered it on (make sure the power cable is plugged in). It Beeped twice but you can stop holding the 2 buttons after the first beep.

After that the laptop should search the usb for the correct files and start reflashing the Bios, eventually the screen should show the progress and beep until it's finished and turn off. Once off you can turn it back on and if it was successful you will see a Bios screen, you might need to do a Cmos reset but the Bios would be restored.

I hope this helps anyone else who has the problem and not have to go though endless searching on the internet and many many failed attempts.
HP Recommended

Hello Aliitoc,

Thank you for posting the resolution you came across and marking it as a solution. This will help build a stronger community.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
HP Recommended

This procedure worked to recover my dv7-2270us.

I also had to try a couple of USB sticks to get it to work.

Please note that when it is working, a USB stick with a light will flash to indicate use, the monitor will be black with no indications, and it will beep.    A lot.  As in don't do this near other people.  I think my system took a little over 5 minutes of reptitive beeping (not at a completly consistent rate to keep you on your toes!).  But then it stopped and powered itself off and all was good with the world.

Yeah!

HP Recommended

I have a dv5-1160ev. I also have corrupted BIOS during the update procedure (blank screen). I made all the above steps. The PC turned off, but nothing else happens. Please help!

HP Recommended

try with the UEFI Support Enviroment 5.4.3.0 A

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-132991-1&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en...

had some trouble finding the driver page for that laptop, is this the one?  it's important to make sure you have the correct bios file. Also try to use a small capacity usb if you have one (1GB - 4GB), and if it has a small light on it is very helpful to see if it gets accessed. The usb needs to be in FAT32 format.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-75233-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

if that is the correct file then the bios should be named 3602 or 3603, follow the instructions again and maybe have copies of that file with the extentions .fd, .bin and .rom in those directories.

if it's the correct one hopefully it should pick up 1 of those files.

hope that's helpful

HP Recommended

fortunatelly i managed to solve the problem!!!

The correct way is to rename the file 3602***.fd to 3603

I had in my usb 4 files:

3603.fd (formelly 3602***.fd)

3603.bin

3603.rom

3603 (without extention)

I followed the procedure (win+B key)... , the pc turned off by itself. When i turn it back on all was ok!!

Thanks for all the help!

HP Recommended

no problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.