Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello all,

I have a problem with my Compaq Presario CQ61. It won't boot. What I see is a black/blank screen, with the numlock and capslock lights blinking twice every couple of seconds.

According to the blink codes, it seems the BIOS has been corrupted (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674  Sadly, no adequate solution is given on that page.

Win + B  or Fn + B at startup does nothing, pressing all the arrow keys gives me a continuous blinking pattern (edit: I can't seem to replicate this anymore...). I have also tried creating a bootable USB-stick with a BIOS update, but I don't think I have done it correctly, for it never gets activated (the light on the USB never turns on).

Also, removing/reseating the RAMs or just one of the RAMs does not work. Neither does removing/reseating the CMOS battery.

Can someone help me solve this issue and/or explain to me in detail how to successfully create a bootable USB-stick with BIOS update for CQ61-325ED?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: if this is not the right sub-forum for these kinds of questions and you're a moderator, please be so kind to move this topic to the correct sub-forum

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my cq61. The Win+B key pressings worked for me much to my delight after a very frustrating night. I hope this helps others. My laptop is 4 and 1/2 years old and I am surprised by its longevity because it was a Walmart special buy.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello Arot,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how your notebook is producing two blinks from the keyboard on your notebook, the screen is blank, and I would be happy to assist you in this endeavor!

To recover your BIOS, I recommend following this document on Restoring the BIOS. Once recovered, I you can install this version of the BIOS on your computer: WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS (for Notebooks with AMD Processors) - Microsoft Windows Based.  

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks, MechPilot.

I am trying holding the Win+B while pressing the power button for 1 second. Instead of showing the blinking lights, the computer automatically turns off. If I release the power button in less than 1 second, the blinking lights will display.

The machine is powered by cable and the power light is on, so I am not sure what is causing this.

I might try to create a USB with HP tools next.

HP Recommended

Could you tell me where I can find the UEFI Support Environment, so I can get HP Tools on a (bootable) USB stick?

Edit I used the HP System Diagnostics (UEFI) to create a HP TOOLS partition on my USB stick ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-83482-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&... )

HP Recommended

Using the HP_TOOLS USB stick, nothing changes when pressing Win+B + power Button, although it does not shut down after 1 second. Now, it just blinks. The USB Stick normally has a light turned on when plugged in and/or when functional. This is not the case now.

😞

HP Recommended

Hello again Arot,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Based on the information you have provided in your post, I recommed contacting please call our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I hope this helps!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my cq61. The Win+B key pressings worked for me much to my delight after a very frustrating night. I hope this helps others. My laptop is 4 and 1/2 years old and I am surprised by its longevity because it was a Walmart special buy.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.