Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My new notebook HP Pavilion g6-2257sr don't let me to boot from USB device. 

When notebook's booting, I pressed ESC and F10. Then I set up UFEI boot order - USB-device / DVD / OS selector. 

I use official Windows 7 disk, and several own USB devices with bootable images.

But rebboting use hard drive's OS all the same.

Please help. I want to delete current OS from my notebbok.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would make a set of recovery disks first before proceeding.

To boot the PC you need to go into the BIOS and enable legacy mode.

Then you should be able to boot from another device.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would make a set of recovery disks first before proceeding.

To boot the PC you need to go into the BIOS and enable legacy mode.

Then you should be able to boot from another device.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Well, i have a pavilion g6 2333er and legacy is enabled in bios, still i can't boot from either cd/dvd or usb, whatever i put first in the list... What could i do to sort this out?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Vareg,

I would like to help you boot from either CD/DVD or USB but I would like some additional information. Are you, like the author of this forum, trying to delete current OS from your notebook, or are you trying to perform a different task? Can you also tell me which operating system you have please.

Here is some information about boot selection but I'm not certain it will help you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sunshyn2005

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi Sunshyn,

Thank you very much for your help. In fact, although i don't really understand why, i was able to boot from a dvd or usb stick as soon as, on the contrary, i had disabled the legacy boot option in the bios.... It is strange but well it worked...

Thanks for help again,

Vareg

HP Recommended

sorry i had read your message too quickly...

well, i had Fedora 19 x86_64 on it, but i needed to try Debian amd64, since Debian doesn't fit the g6 2333er too well, i went back to Fedora19 over night

Anyway, i understand that updates for my bios are avalaible only to either Windows or Novell (thru OpenSuSE enterprise) - So...since i am not planning to use either of those and i will only have redhat-based OS's on this laptop, is there a way for me to get bios updates?

And also, hitting F12 or FN/F12 does not switch off wi-fi (its keyboard LED)on my pavilion, though wi-fi is disabled at software level, wpa service disabled and the broadcom card is de-activated i believe. Furthermore, there is no way in the bios i can disable the wifi card, like i used to at least do on the pavilion ze2348 i still have ( and that still works after 9 years) - which is why i wanted to upgrade the bios somehow. Anything safe i could try to switch of the wifi LED on the keyboard then?

Anyway, please let me know if i should open separate tickets for all these questions. 

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Vareg

HP Recommended

Hi Vareg,

I could not locate any HP documents related to your Linux situation, but to respond to your first questions about the Bios update, I believe HP does not make the update available for Fedora because installing a BIOS that is not designed for the processor or operating system in your computer could cause the computer to stop working.

Updating the BIOS

You asked if there is anything safe to try to change the F12 or FN/F12 my best suggestion is to check the Fedora Website

I also found something that says Changing the default Function key behaviour in Fedora. This is specific to Apple Mac hardware and I didn't find it at the Fedora site, but it's an example of what you might find.

Good luck !

Sunshyn2005

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi sir i have the same problem i have already enable the legacy boot but still i didnt see the usb option bcz the usb hard drive is in UEFI boot in my computer so what should i do ???????? please help me 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.